The Firearms Forum banner

F-16 Bird Strike on Takeoff

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chuckusaret 
#1 · (Edited)
Check this out. I hope it works.

F_16_vs_bird_050808-HB1.wmv (2625KB)

A couple of million dollars down the tubes, but makes you proud of the professionalism of the pilots, 45 seconds of it until they eject.

But they got it turned around away from houses, AND made two relight attempts before punching out.

Go wide screen and turn up the sound

Crap it didn't work, I'll try again, it's worth it.

#4 ·
Thanks Tech!

Anyway, I'll just post what my buddy that's a check pilot for a major airline sent me...by the way, he's the one who talked me into buying my Swift.

"Amazing 45 second sequence. You may have to replay to see the bird that entered the engine. Go to large screen if you can. This is footage from the cockpit of an F-16. Cool reaction and professionalism of the two pilots, including cockpit transmission with video.

F-16 engine ingests bird after takeoff at Tyndall AFB. Think you might find it interesting to see a crash from the cockpit of an airplane.

It is an instructor pilot in the rear and a student in the front seat of an F-16.

A "Bird Strike," as seen through the Heads Up Display (HUD). You can see the bird flash by just prior to impacting the engine. You can hear the aircraft voice warning system telling them they have a problem and referring to the "D-6 NL" which means there is no engine RPM.

They made two attempts to relight the jet engine, but evidently, there was too much damage from the bird strike and they had to eject. These guys were very cool; note the heavy breathing... They certainly flew longer than one would expect before ejecting. Airspeed can be observed
on the HUD's upper left corner. It goes down to the low 120's as they struggle to get the engine going again, but as the plane noses over and dives to earth it increases to at least 175 just before impact.

It just goes to show how quickly your day can go to pieces - 45 seconds from strike to ejection. All and all, not bad. They ran the Emergency Checklist, made two relight attempts, and picked out a plowed field for impact before ejecting.

You can follow the audio attached to it and hear the conversation between the pilot and instructor pilot and then the tower. Including the pilot saying they were punching out. The tower didn't seem to completely understand it all, and missed the significance of the last transmission.

The towers last radio call, he's talking to an empty aircraft. The video continues until impact, even after they both eject. A classic "buying the farm" as you can see the plow rows get bigger. A real nice job from the aircrew by keeping their cool and turning the aircraft away from populated areas. No one hurt and no one killed but the dirty bird did cost the Taxpayers a "few" million dollars!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.