F-22 Pilots Dizzy at the controls

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by whymememe, Jun 14, 2012.

1. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'll have to give my daughter a call and find out if she's heard anything. She's a crew chief on the 22's.
  3. Tom

Tom Member

This seems pretty silly to me. We have been using OBOGS O2 systems for about 25 yrs. Why can't these bozos get this thing right? If they can't get it right, replace the damn thing with LOX.
  4. bobski

bobski Former Guest

lox...been there done that. time proven.
    if its not broken, dont fix it.
    go back to it.
    out with the new, in with the old.... for once.
  5. Tom

Tom Member

OBOGS is an osmotic system where you separate oxygen from air, leaving fairly pure O2 on one side and enriched nitrogen on the other side. O2 to the aircrew, enriched nitrogen to the fuel tanks. OBOGS systems have a lot of advantages. You eliminate the need for a cryogenic system to make the LOX, you eliminate a hazardous LOX system from the aircraft, and as a byproduct of getting oxygen from the air, you have an enriched nitrogen gas that you can use instead of air to assist in fuel transfer and as a fire suppressant in the fuel system. A real win-win situation. Why can’t these bozos get it right?