F.B. Radom VIS model 35

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TomSwift, Mar 21, 2007.

1. TomSwift

TomSwift New Member

This is another of my late father's pistols. I know nothing about this one. Caliber appears to be smaller than a .45, .38 maybe? I know next to nothing about guns, but this appears to be a very 'cheap' quality gun compared to the Colt I asked about in another thread. Anything you could tell me about the age, caliber, value, etc. would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. bdfinst

bdfinst New Member

It's a Polish P35. It looks from here as if it's a first generation that been refinished. Here's a link to mine:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=33848&highlight=radom

It's a 9x19, well built, and accurate pistol.

The Radom was accepted into service just before Germany stormed across the border. It was then used by the Germans (note the waffenamt markings on the slide). The Germans also made later models with fewer features and rougher finshing.
  3. Spriggit5

Spriggit5 New Member

interesting
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Your VIS (sometimes called a "Radom") is a very well designed handgun based on the John M. Browning M1911. It was the standard pistol of the Polish Military prior to WWII. The one's manufactured for the Polish Army from 1935 to 1939, had a much higher quality than the later one's made for the Nazis.

When the Nazis invaded Poland in September, 1939, they took over the manufacture of the VIS and issued it as a secondary firearm for the Nazi Army.

Your's bears a Waffenampt (German acceptance mark), so it was made sometime between late 1939 and early 1945.

The caliber is standard 9mm (Luger/Parabellum).

The Standard Catalog of Military Firearms values it at:

Exc. - $500
    V.G. - $400
    Good - $250

Here's a bit more info on your VIS:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg61-e.htm
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Even the Nazi-era P35s are pretty well built pistols and it should be a pretty good shooter...they just look kinda rough.

Yours looks like it's had a pretty tough life. Lots of rust pitting that was removed with a rather aggressive steel wool or scotchbrite pad attack. I wouldn't refinish it beyond what's already been done, but keep it oiled and have it checked out by a gunsmith if you do want to take it to the range.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It has obviously been nickel plated (badly) at some time in the past.
  7. Raymond D. Nalewajek

Raymond D. Nalewajek New Member

Interesting - I have a later production model S# A7972. It has no butt stock adapter. Machining marks all over the place, but with the plastic grip. Has 2 clips and a original holster with the initials J.D. scratched into it. I will post a picture with the holster as soon as I get my camera back from my daughter.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I know you were told it was 9X19 caliber, but in case these numbers are unfamiliar to you, it translates into 9mm Luger caliber. This ammo is commonly available wherever cartridges are sold. It will function better with round nose full metal jacket bullets, rather than hollow points. In nice condition these are bringing $700 or more at gun shows today, as interest in Radom pistols has exploded. An early one with a Polish eagle can sell for quite a bit more. Unfortunately, yours has lost all collector value since it no longer has its original finish, and is now just a shooter, probably worth about $350 at most. It's a good, strong quality pistol, so don't be hesitant to shoot it.
  9. wayne.graham

wayne.graham New Member

My dad brought back one with serial number E5470 (see attached picture). As you can see, it has the NAZI stamps.

He shot it so many times that he forgot how many barrels he has had to replace. The gun still shoots very well and in fact I have taught both my sons and one daughter how to use an automatic handgun with this very unit. My dad replaced the grips with ones he made from the shattered window of a B29, and the picture is of my mother taken while dad was still overseas.