f-class rifle....

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by RugerBob, Jan 30, 2009.

1. RugerBob

RugerBob New Member

Ok all , bear with me. All I would like is a rifle and scope that is good for longer then 200+ yards. If that turns out to be a cheap marlin or savage its all good. I compete in local cowboy action. Since I don't and won't lite load I will never be in the top and I am ok with that. As far as f-class, why can't I have a new cheap rifle in 30 cal(30-06) with a 80 dollar scope from shooters mag and at least try to compete. What is needed to to just be in f-class? I was lookin at the marlin xl-7 or the savage for a buck more. I was trying to stay ubder 5 bills as cabelas has the xl for 299 on sale now. Am I at least heading in the right direction? Any pros or cons will be appreciated. I love shooting and reloading. With family things and all I gotta keep it cheap. So, I guess I am wondering, If I get a cheap 30-06 (new) can I compete in f-class? Thanks, Bob
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Bob,

Are you an NRA member? If so you can.:) The catch is the rifle has to have reciever sights and a scope as half of the match is with each type of sight. 40 shots with two sighters with each type of sight. 84 rounds of ammo with the sighters. You can shoot the entire match with you "metalic sights" but you cann't shoot the entire match with your "any sight" or scope. Savage makes a decent rifle for this type of shooting, at a resonable cost. Or you might try going to a few matches and getting to know a few guys who do this alot and usually a rifle can be had used, as guys get older and get out of comp shooting. It's a case of who you know, and how well you are connected. Metalic sights can get a little spendy as they usually costs about what a good scope does to purchase them. And the rifle must be drilled an tapped to accept them, as older rifles usually are, but new rifles may not be. The F-class part is the use of a fore end rest, instead of a shooting coat and a sling. As long as the rear of the rifle is unsupported on your shoulder the rest is legal

I really think a used rifle set up for this could be less expensive than starting with a new rifle and adding the sights. There are a limited number of folks interested in this type of specialized rifle, so if you are serious, I would go to a match and poke around and let the folks there know you are interested in shooting and would be interested in a used rifle. Many guys have one they used to shoot, and left at home. There may even be some one who would loan you a rifle for the next match. They may be your competitor while shooting, but generally they are a great buch of guys who love to see a new shooter.:);) When I first started I was very impressed with the free and good advice and help they are willing to give.

Best regards Kirk
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Oh,

By they way you will need a shooting mat and a spotting scope as well......
  4. RugerBob

RugerBob New Member

300 H&H, Thanks for the reply. I know of 1 shooter close enough (by distance) that I can get info when and where the next comp will be. I will have to check it out. Thanks again. Bob
  5. spitfire_er

spitfire_er New Member

I'm not a competitive shooter (I would like to be, hopefully in the near future), but I once picked up a Ruger M77 MKII in .243 win with a Hart Stainless barrel, rifle basics trigger, and a houge stock for $400. I bought it for hunting purposes, but I shot one ragged 5 round group the last time I took it out with hand loads at 100 yards. Put A Nikon Monarch scope on it about $300. Not an F-class rifle per say, but might get your foot in the door if you could find a decent used rifle that has already had all the expensive stuff done to it.
  6. RugerBob

RugerBob New Member

I passed on most of the things I seen out there. Just didn't fit the budget. But thanks for the reply. Bob
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

A few years ago some guys at snipershide used a converted Savage mod 10FP in F class.