F.I .380 Model D

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jobiin, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Yes, that looks like it is its own spring. I have never seen one like it, either, but I stand corrected about a coil spring.

Jim
  2. jobiin

jobiin New Member

No harm done. If it's it's own spring then, and it's not extracting the spent shell from the barrel, could this be my issue? Just get this replaced and see what happens?

After I fire a shot, I have to manually extract the shell from the barrel. I can see were the extractor tried to grab the shell, there are markings on it. Could it just not be grabbing it correctly?
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Since it is its own spring, you could try tuning it by clamping the bottom part (inner side) in a vise and tapping the top (outer) part with a brass or plastic hammer. (Note the word is "tap", not "bang on as hard as you can".) That is the way folks have "tuned" M1911 extractors for years. You risk breaking it, but it doesn't work now.

Jim
  4. jobiin

jobiin New Member

I'll try this. I am pretty handy, I just didn't want to start this process without asking questions first.

Do you think the issue is that it's not bent far enough in? That over time, it's bent outwards a little, preventing it from getting a good hold on the shell?