1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

F&W firing pin

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Small_bore, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Small_bore

Small_bore New Member

I have an old F&W that has a broken firing pin, the spring that keeps it retained is nonexistent and the pin just hangs there.
    It shoots great but the pin digs in to the primer and keeps the cylinder from rotating.
    How do I take the pin out so I can repair it?
    On the side where the hammer strikes it there are is a small hole above and below the firing pin.
  2. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I believe the small holes you mention are on the firing pin nut. If you look closely, you should see a round circle where this nut unscrews, and those round holes are to enable you to turn the nut by means of a snap-ring pliers. You may have to soak the area for a few days in WD-40 or Kroil if it refuses to budge.
    Old Gun Guy
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The best way to remove those bushings is to get a wide blade screwdriver bit and cut it out in the center to leave the ends standing, then file them down to the right size and shape. There used to be adjustable wrenches for sale for those and shotgun bushings, but I don't see them in Brownell's catalog.

Jim
  4. Small_bore

Small_bore New Member

Well I bubba'd it.
    Ended up just filing down the pin to the point where it will strike the primer but not dig into it and lock up. Gives shallow pin strikes but just enough to reliably fire.
    Thanks for the tip Jim, I will keep that in mind for the future.