Fabrica de armas mauser

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by goofy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I"m looking for a date and how much it's worth? I am going to sell it so some history would be good. It says fabrica de armas oviedo 1898 on top of recever and on the side is ser# and a E in a circle.On the bottem is 2 L and 7 6 or 7 G. ser# is D 4336 it is on the barrel and the recever. above the ser # is 7MM and above the fabrica is a crown(i think) Thanks in advance..............GOOFY

Attached Files:

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, looks like a Bubba'd Model '93 Spanish Mauser, obviously made in 1898. These guns were sold literally by the barrel full at hardware & sporting goods stores around the Country for under $20 back in the 50's and 60's. Doing the Bubba modifications (sporterizing as it was called) was very poular back then. The 7 X 57 caliber is a great one and for the investment the old Mausers made great inexpensive deer rifles for folks.

Sadly, those rifles have little collectors value and go for around $100 these days. Have a gunsmith check the headspace, but it is probably safe to shoot commercial 7 X 57 Mauser ammo. It is loaded with these guns in mind and does not create high pressure.

ETA: These were the guns used by the Spanish against the Americans in the Spanish Ameican War. They were so effective that they inspired the development of the 1903 Springfield rifle.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. Insjim

Insjim Guest

I cannot tell by pics but perhaps US military sling on it, Could be worth as much as the rifle. Is the sling maker marked or dated?
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Fabrica de Armas means simply "Arms Factory"; Oviedo is the location of the factory. There were two major Spanish government arms factories, at Oviedo and at La Coruna.

Jim
  5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.:)as for the sling i do not see any markings on it . It has brass hardware.As for the gun i checked the head space it's good.I got it for $5 from a neighbor and have had it for awhile and sense i havent gotten around to doing anything with it I thought i would sell it to someone who would.;)So now i know about it. Thanks again for all your help........GOOFY
  6. PICADOR

PICADOR New Member

7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF:D PICADOR Thanks for the link.:).....GOOFY