The Firearms Forum banner

FABRIQUE NATIONAL 12 GA.

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Popgunner 
#1 ·
I'm an advid duck hunter. Have quite a few shotguns. Willed to me many years ago was a Fabrique National (Browning's Patent) 12 ga. semi-auto. Acier Special with solid rib. S.N. #88546. Most blue is gone, no rust, stock and forearm have no damage or cracks and it works great, although I don't shoot it anymore. I have no plan to sell it (sentimental value). One day while cleaning it I found my uncle's hunting license inside the stock after removing the butt plate. A 1940 hunting license in prestine condition, what a treat.
The reciever markings are "FABRIQUE NATIONAL D'ARMES DE GUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE". Barrel markings are 'ACIER SPECIAL'. Additional barrel markings include - 0 Kg 903 P.V. and encircled is 12-70. Butt plate has FN logo with BROWNING AUTOMATIC on each side of plate.
Any info on when made, how many made and i guess what $$ value, although I have no thought of selling..............unless there's ,000,000 behind the number.
Thanks in advance for your info.

Ducks in your face forever.

DUKBUSTR2

#2 ·
Hi Mr. Duck......welcome to TFF. :)

What a neat find!

Since you found a 1940 license with the gun, it's obviously pre-1940 and that would make it a Browing A-5. Serial #88546 was made in 1929!

Browning A-5s were made from 1902 to 1999 and over 2,000,000 were made during that timeframe.

Value is gonna be tough, since the A-5 was made in a number of different grades (engraving, inlays, grade of wood)....and value is also affected by whether the gun has a solid matte rib or vented rib.

Can you post a picture of it? If not, give a description of any, and how much, engraving on it and what type of rib it has.

#3 ·
Xracer,
Thanks for the reply about my 12 ga. Fabrique National. I was most interrested in manufactured date, 1929. There is no engraving on it, has solid matte rib. wood is quite dark with no damage or major scratches or dents. I am most greatful to you for advising manufactured date.
Thanks

#4 ·
OK......here are the Blue Book values for a Plain Jane (Grade 1) Auto-5 Standard, 1903 - 1940 Manufacture, solid matte rib. % = amount of original finish left.

98% - $725
95% - $600
90% - $475
80% - $375
70% - $325

However, with your family's history with the gun, I'd say it's definitely a "keeper", not a "seller". You've got a real family treasure there. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.