1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

FABRIQUE NATIONAL 12 GA.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MR.DUCK, Mar 6, 2007.

1. MR.DUCK

MR.DUCK New Member

I'm an advid duck hunter. Have quite a few shotguns. Willed to me many years ago was a Fabrique National (Browning's Patent) 12 ga. semi-auto. Acier Special with solid rib. S.N. #88546. Most blue is gone, no rust, stock and forearm have no damage or cracks and it works great, although I don't shoot it anymore. I have no plan to sell it (sentimental value). One day while cleaning it I found my uncle's hunting license inside the stock after removing the butt plate. A 1940 hunting license in prestine condition, what a treat.
    The reciever markings are "FABRIQUE NATIONAL D'ARMES DE GUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE". Barrel markings are 'ACIER SPECIAL'. Additional barrel markings include - 0 Kg 903 P.V. and encircled is 12-70. Butt plate has FN logo with BROWNING AUTOMATIC on each side of plate.
    Any info on when made, how many made and i guess what $$ value, although I have no thought of selling..............unless there's ,000,000 behind the number.
    Thanks in advance for your info.

Ducks in your face forever.

DUKBUSTR2
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Mr. Duck......welcome to TFF. :)

What a neat find!

Since you found a 1940 license with the gun, it's obviously pre-1940 and that would make it a Browing A-5. Serial #88546 was made in 1929!

Browning A-5s were made from 1902 to 1999 and over 2,000,000 were made during that timeframe.

Value is gonna be tough, since the A-5 was made in a number of different grades (engraving, inlays, grade of wood)....and value is also affected by whether the gun has a solid matte rib or vented rib.

Can you post a picture of it? If not, give a description of any, and how much, engraving on it and what type of rib it has.
  3. MR.DUCK

MR.DUCK New Member

Xracer,
    Thanks for the reply about my 12 ga. Fabrique National. I was most interrested in manufactured date, 1929. There is no engraving on it, has solid matte rib. wood is quite dark with no damage or major scratches or dents. I am most greatful to you for advising manufactured date.
    Thanks
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK......here are the Blue Book values for a Plain Jane (Grade 1) Auto-5 Standard, 1903 - 1940 Manufacture, solid matte rib. % = amount of original finish left.

98% - $725
    95% - $600
    90% - $475
    80% - $375
    70% - $325

However, with your family's history with the gun, I'd say it's definitely a "keeper", not a "seller". You've got a real family treasure there. :)
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I've been wondering about an FN auto 5 that my father-in -law has that's pristine except where someone installed some kind of an after-market big adjustable choke doo-hicky.