'Facebook' 1911 challange, My rant

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by al45lc, May 10, 2012.

1. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Rob, Rob, Rob. You sure don't have a knack for making friends there bud.
    Rob Pincus of "Trigger Time" has issued a challenge (on Facebook) for folks to spend money and take his class to prove the validity of carrying a 'shorty' 1911.
    He states that He thinks the 1911 was a "bad idea" to begin with.
    He also stated that he has never seen a shorty 1911 NOT fail.
    Honestly, I think He's just another 'self-made' expert vieing for more exposure.
    After all, that's what Facebook has become.
    Very Gauche, Rob.
    BTW, I'm NOT a 1911 fanatic, I have several, but I also have 'Plastic' guns.
    I just have the intelligence to know a good design when I see it, whether I use it or not.
    What kind of vehicle do you drive Rob? Wanna tell us how wrong we are there too?
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    He reminds me a bit of Gabe Suarez. A little bit hazy on deep background but full of much hot air used mostly for tooting the 'How Great I Am Horn'.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yep, it's the same old song and dance on YouTube too.
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would really like to see ANY poly gun out of the box as accurate as a 1911 is out of the box. I own 20 polly pistols and I can assure you that NONE of them will hold a candle to my 1911s. I have a colt defender 3" barrel that has around 3500-4000 rounds thru it and has only been cleaned. It has eaten flat nosed and hollow point and lead nosed and whatever else thru stock magazines and others and I can rip the bullseye out of a target at 30 ft off hand all day long and if you dont believe me ask red14, he watched me do it. So, whatever.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The trouble is, if you try to tell these guys that (like that James Yeager guy), they'll just hide behind their resume or change the question instead of facing the facts. Or they'll do like Yeager did to me and block you from commenting. Meh, they're entitled to their opinions. I'm not going to argue with them. 1911s work for me just fine for me, too.

That co-worker that I shoot with has a Colt 1991 Officer's ACP and it's incredibly accurate. It's bone stock too. Idk, I just think there's too many myths about 1911s going around and they seem to be perpetuated by these so-called "experts."
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

Interesting thread, because I was about to start one. I'll add here instead.

Yesterday in the mail I received a package from the NRA. Inside was a Rob Pincus DVD on "Combat Focus Shooting and Home Defense Tips". The NRA said I was selected to receive this special offer. Do nothing, and they'll send more DVDs at such and such a price. If I don't want it, I can send it back in the enclosed envelope.

I am returning it. I don't like deals like this. I didn't ask for it, didn't want it, don't need it, won't watch it. And if I don't follow the instructions and send it back, I'll get a bill, and more DVDs I didn't order.

I think this is a poor marketing idea. I'm disappointed. Granted, it will take me all of two minutes to repackage this for a return, but it smacks of those phony Yellow Pages bills I get every year, for ads I didn't order. I'm well aware of all the super-duper trooper courses out there that can turn me into a finely honed marksman and a lethal killing machine capable of triple tapping bad guys betwixt the eyes while hanging upside down wearing a clown suit, and if I ever decide I need them, I know where to find them.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh Juker, I thought you were already one of those hangy upside down double tappy kinda fellows. Aww shucks, now my mental image of you has been destroyed.
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I got that same dvd but I must be a lush cause I started watching it,now I have to finish it if its gonna tell me how to shoot upside down.lol Know really the reason I started watching it is because im pretty new to shooting and I want to learn as much as i can.I wish the Outdoor Channel had more shooting and conceal carry shows.Ive learned quite a bit from personal defense,They have Massood Ayoob usaully once an episode.
  9. Cuba

Cuba New Member

I for one, given an opportunity to chose in a life and death situation I will always pick the original disign with a proven track record (full size 1911) over an officers model.
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  10. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

If you did not request the DVD just keep it and don't send them any cash for it. You don't have to pay for it or even send it back if you did not request it. They sent me a DVD last year and I just kept it and did not pay for it. They didn't like it but it is the way it is.
  11. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Rob Pincus is a D Bag, another self proclaimed Gun expert who learned all his techniques watching others DVD's. I've known Cops who have retired never to fire one round on duty during their carreers. They are no more of an expert than I am in self defense, in fact I shoot more rounds per month than most do in a year. If I want a lesson I'll talk to a combat Vet who has been fired at. Makes a big difference when the target fires back.
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I own a couple Tupperware guns in .45 cal and neither are as accurate as my two entry level 1911's. If the 1911 has a single drawback it is the relatively limited magazine capacity, but then there 1911's with double stack mags that offer about as much capacity as any plastic gun in the same caliber.

The 1911...100 years old and still champ.
  13. al45lc

al45lc New Member

"To each his own" I always say, and I don't run around disparaging others choices in self defence, that's their boggle.
    My point more than anything is that NO product made by man is flawless, and ANY gun that your going to hinge your life on should be thoroughly tested BEFORE you carry it. Barrel length has little if anything to do with the guns reliability if that gun is properly built, assembled and tested.
    To begin with, it's foolish to bet your life on any untested firearm, and in my world that means somewhere around 500 rounds in an Auto before I call it reliable. Minimum.
    So are some of these people showing up with guns right out of the box?
    And then there's the shooter themselves factored into it, we all know that the 1911 is susceptable to "limp wristing", as is almost any large caliber Auto.
    He's very vague in this and that's what irritates me most. I have nothing against the Poly gun aficionado's, except that some of them are a little too elist for my tastes. But then, the 1911 guys can be too.
    And I still say that if they REALLY believe that they need 15 rds per mag and 3 mags, they can stand and fight, I'll cover and retreat.
    Hell, I'm not looking for a firefight, I'm looking to survive!
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

That is the way it is, if you received stuff in the mail without asking for it, it is considered a gift!!
  15. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Who the hell is "Rob Pincus"?

With a name like that, he would go on TV or radio or any other media!!!

I understand why he would carry and why it must be reliable, LOL.

Frankly, before I would begin to espouse knowledge especially to disparage a gun that has been around and proven for so many years under actual combat conditions in more countries around the world under the worst of circumstances and never failed to do the job, I would change my name to

Harry Bad or Richard Tough or .....

Just my thoughts.

I am seldom impressed with the thoughts or words of these newby, wannabe, Gun gurus. Who says they are one damned bit more knowledgeable or experienced than you or I. I'll bet whatever his background, he does not have as many rounds through any handgun as I, so maybe I should apply for my own show.

UF