Facebook facial recognition & other B.S.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Juker, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Juker

Juker New Member

I'm starting this thread under "Self Defense Tactics" because I am not a fan of Facebook.

It strikes me that even a couple of years ago, Facebook was a place to stay connected with friends and family, for those who couldn't be bothered to pick up the phone or send an email. Now it seems almost mandatory. No, thanks. Everyone I know, it seems, has a Facebook page. I have never and will never be a part of it. For one, I have too many acquaintances on too many levels, and I don't want everyone in one pot. Most importantly, the site has had continuing horror stories and privacy issues.

Now they're working up some kind of facial recognition software. Get a photo of someone, run it through the software, and find any and all pictures of them on the internet, leading to other information and serious security issues.

It pisses me right off when someone puts a picture of me on their Facebook page - some event or party or function I was attending. I'm a private person and don't like my life plastered on the internet. But it seems I'm in the vast minority, as everyone's in an endless race to get connected, collect friends, describe their education/background/favorite music, and let everyone know what they had for breakfast.

I've seen TFF users in the past put up something that says, "Hey, I'm on facebook, here's my page ---" - with no regard whatsoever to the fact that the internet is a wide open smelting pot that spans the globe, and there are way too many freaks out there.

Be careful, folks. New isn't always improved, and technology isn't necessarily your friend.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yes i've moved off and killed my FB page , but still use it to track and trace jihadi's here , it aint secure and their future plans for it aint good
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Some firearms forums have their own FB page.
  4. the wolf

the wolf New Member

I am aware of this BS... I got a lousy hard to see picture post on facebook that make it soo hard to know who is that.. far I am concern.. someone will sound the alarm of infinge the right of private and other infingements that lean to FB to jail if provoked. thats my 2 cent
  5. Artemus

Artemus New Member

I belong to Facebook and if my face gets added to a file I could care less.I am not in the business of crime.
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

I should hope not. Let's say for the sake of argument that you're a cop. Let's say you're a plainclothes narcotics detective. Little Sally next door takes your photo at a backyard BBQ and pops it on her Facebook page. And suddenly you're one of the 450 million people tagged by Facebook facial recognition software. And even though you don't have a FB page, every scumbag with a basic knowledge of computers can figure out what school Sally goes to, what neighborhood you live in, and where your family is.

So even though you aren't in the business of crime, or in the business of law enforcement, in short order your privacy becomes a matter of public record. "Daddy's friend Artemus. They go hunting together. He has a lot of guns."

The security implications for our servicemembers are staggering.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110803-714777.html
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

now if that pic was taken via Ipod or Iphone the GPS co-ordinates of where the pic was taken and the time will be embedded in with the pic , so not only do they know who you are but where and when ... and in my case the jihadis have gone to friends pretended they are my friends trying to find me ..
  8. Juker

Juker New Member

Precisely.

Or say you're in witness protection, and somebody in your new town snaps a photo of you and puts it on their little league team website. "John and Sandy Smith, our new neighbors, spotted in the stands rooting for Jimmy."

Except you're not John and Sandy, but the people looking for you have a photo of you.
  9. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

i cant say i like facebook either or what was the other site just before that myspace ? not my thing and it only makes you easily found and noticed to anyone out there , could just be a guy that allmost hit ur car an u flipt him off then one day he stumbles on ur pic on ur page or someones elses page an has that grudge still , i think its a complete waste of time an a invasion of ur pricacy , an the funny thing is most people think nothing of it an list there own info for anyone to see ,, :eek:
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i was using it to promote democracy and to find like minded aussies

but by the same term there are groups who look for people with "certain interests" , Christians are highly targets for "social engineering " by a could of US and EU groups who are basically part of the soros network

some are outright belligerent trying to get people to post violent responses , some wanna be your friend but wants to to like moderate muslims or save the planet etc etc etc

also it can be hacked , and if they connect to FB or MS via mobile you can reverse load spyware to the phone as a auto update or even Via text msg if only their number is listed somewhere via Steganography , or hiding data in pictures .. most folks connect thier phones to their PC's as well and then you can control and access everything on that as well ..

with software like GoGPS and others i can locate the originators location as well as IP

with the spy version installed on the FB users phone i can take over the phone get it to transmit gps co-ords as often as i wish and tell me who they called and txt'd and who called them and txt'd

and i only really got into this 14 mths ago , it aint hard eh
  11. big steve

big steve New Member

Juker I agree completely with what your saying I have deactivated my facebook page in the past due to things like that but have come back as it is a good means of communications with friends that are far away. But I am now seriously thinking of permanently getting rid of my facebook! I would say it was a pretty cool idea when it started out but it has gotten out of hand
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

there are many simple and unlogged places to chat with folks even the chat room here is good for that

they dont have all the bells and whistles of the big sites but it works its safe its free and UNLOGGED
  13. big steve

big steve New Member

That is very true Jack...
  14. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

WAY OUTTA HAND! I find people on my friends list i dont even know.
  15. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Jack and Juker.. OnTarget! Fire for effect.
  16. Artemus

Artemus New Member

Wow,terrific imagination ya got there.lol
  17. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to visualize things which have happened and are still happening.

Pops
  18. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Artemus yeah we have a imagination to fill buckets , hey seeing your so close to flat bush station , wanna run by the post office ( its real close to the station) and theres a camera there that can mearsure your height , i got the rest , besides weight , but i know where to send ya to get that

and i'm in Australia mate ..

you may live in mass but where you posted from is between prospect park and brooklyn and we dont store info here like FB ..

now i wont lookup where else you posted or other sites you accessed, i wont ask if you connect a mobile to that PC you used

but it aint hard ...

as for your not a criminal , crims aint the targets on facebook cause all the liberals say thats unfair , so they track other folks , like members of christian groups or pro gun groups or those who dont like obozo , or to get serious they try to figure out who you are where you live and how much your worth , if its looking your a decent mark they'll try a few things , stealing your mail once they have a ID , that way they can get more info and probably steal your ID and maybe get a mortgage in your name , a CC , or a loan against your property ..

80 mortgages a day are made falsely via stolen ID in the USA , mostly via facebook starting info, with crims also then working the ground stealing mail gathering info for ID theft

but you say it cant happen thats cool , so what do we do to the other folks who it has happened too ?

can i send you and get you to say it did not happen that way , that the person ( victim) is imagining it all and that your answer is to say you aint a criminal and that makes you safe ??

what time shall i set up your first meeting

and can i film it ??, and yes i'll have a first aid kit standing by for when you explain to the folks they got it all wrong ..
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  19. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think you may need to expand your imagination some before you end up in trouble. Juker has listed a very credible threat. Of course, its totally up to you if you choose to ignore it.
  20. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I understand the intent here, but it is SERIOUSLY flawed in this case.
    Anyone who does not see any problem with this simply has not thought about it very deeply -