Factory ammo not consistently powered

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Old Gun Guy, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I was at the range today shooting my AutoMag3. It fires the .30 carbine round, and I was using a mixture of S&B 110 gr. FMJ, and some old Lake City ball ammo. Sometimes a round would go off that sounded alot hotter than the other ones I fired. This happened about 4 times out of about 100 rounds. I can't tell you which manufactured ammo was causing this because the rounds were all mixed up, and I was just trying to use it up.
    Even the outdoor rangemaster noticed the difference, and asked me if I had hand-loaded those rounds, which I hadn't.
    Has anybody had this happen to them with factory ammo, or know what could have caused it?:confused::confused::confused:
    Thanks in advance!
    Old Gun Guy
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've had it happen with Remington UMC Yellowbox 9mm and PMP South African 9mm. I no longer use either.

Not hotter than normal, by the way. Punier than they shoulda been.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I've seen noticeable differences in factory ammo; nothing terribly noticeable like you mentioned though. It does and can happen; they're human too and prone to quality control issues. I've seen more inconsistent ammo coming out of foreign ammo than US made, with the exception of UMC, with alpo on UMC, i don't shoot that stuff either.

Here's an interesting article about reloaders vs the factory. nothing in particular about variations of charges, but hope you'll find it informative

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/ST_reloderandammo_200904/
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

A buddy shot some Wolf ammo and some would "BANG!!" and others would "pop". He stays away from Wolf anything other than chilli. LOL