1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Factory ammo not consistently powered

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Old Gun Guy, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I was at the range today shooting my AutoMag3. It fires the .30 carbine round, and I was using a mixture of S&B 110 gr. FMJ, and some old Lake City ball ammo. Sometimes a round would go off that sounded alot hotter than the other ones I fired. This happened about 4 times out of about 100 rounds. I can't tell you which manufactured ammo was causing this because the rounds were all mixed up, and I was just trying to use it up.
    Even the outdoor rangemaster noticed the difference, and asked me if I had hand-loaded those rounds, which I hadn't.
    Has anybody had this happen to them with factory ammo, or know what could have caused it?:confused::confused::confused:
    Thanks in advance!
    Old Gun Guy
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've had it happen with Remington UMC Yellowbox 9mm and PMP South African 9mm. I no longer use either.

Not hotter than normal, by the way. Punier than they shoulda been.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I've seen noticeable differences in factory ammo; nothing terribly noticeable like you mentioned though. It does and can happen; they're human too and prone to quality control issues. I've seen more inconsistent ammo coming out of foreign ammo than US made, with the exception of UMC, with alpo on UMC, i don't shoot that stuff either.

Here's an interesting article about reloaders vs the factory. nothing in particular about variations of charges, but hope you'll find it informative

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/ST_reloderandammo_200904/
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

A buddy shot some Wolf ammo and some would "BANG!!" and others would "pop". He stays away from Wolf anything other than chilli. LOL