Factory Powder Information

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Wyoman, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Wyoman

Wyoman New Member

Does anyone know how to find information on factory loaded information as far as type of powder used? I can't find anything on the Net. I'm particularly interested in .40 S & W 155 gr.GDHP by Speer. Maybe they don't release that type of information. :(
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Most all ammo manufacturers use powders specially blended to their own specs. They mostly do not use off the shelf canister powders available to reloaders. You can however buy surplus military powders that are used to manufacture military ammo.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

wyoman:

To add to inplanotx explanation, each lot of non-cannister powder (that is, powder not made for resale to the public as a reloading powder) is tested for potentcy. The amount of powder used is modulated so as to keep the bullet velocity the same from lot to lot of the finished ammo. Buying and using these non-canister powders would give you pretty big variations in velocity and ultimately accuracy from ammo lot to ammo lot if you didn't characterize each lot of powder---way too much to expect from the reloading public. Not a good thing. And the powder numbers usually don't match anything available commercially in canisters powders.

The best you can do is to chronograph factory ammo and then work your loads up using an approved powder for that cartridge to that same velocity. In some cases it is not possible without exceeding safe pressure levels. Some non-canister powders allow bullet velocities not ever acheivable in reloading with canister powders.

LDBennett
  4. Wyoman

Wyoman New Member

Very interesting information from you both. Thanks.

I do have a friend that has a chronograph and will get him to test a factory round. The reason I asked the question was that I would like to duplicate the factory ammo, if possible. As you both know, 20 rounds of the factory Speer GDHP ammo costs about 75 cents a round. They are really proud of it so I'll see if I can get a comparable load by reloading and keep in mind that I might not be able to duplicate the performance and stay within safe pressure levels.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You can also get yourself the following book and get the complete data on every factory round made. It has all the ballistic data you want for all rifle and pistol calibers and loads.

Ammo & Ballistics II
    for hunters, shooters and collectors.
    2nd Edition by Bob Forker

I got mine at Amazon.com.

Ammo & Ballistics II

It lists your Speer load with all data. When I have a few minutes I will list it.
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Speer lists the muzzle velocity for the load you listed above at 1200 fps. Now, they use a pressure barrel to measure this data, usually of a set length. This data is not published so you have to pick a load that will duplicate the velocity in your pistol. For that you need a chronograph and do some load experimenting. Good luck.