Failed 30-06 cases

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDBennett, Sep 28, 2011.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My 30-06 M1 Garand ammo batch had two case separation today at the range. They have only been reloaded maybe 6 or 7 times and are head stamped LC 43. Maybe they have passed their "use by" date?

It is amazing that nearly 70 year old cases did not degrade long before now. The whole lot is finally going in the trash. I think I got good use out of it as it was given to me as stained loaded ammo which I broke down some 20 years ago and only used the cases.

LDBennett
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Thats pretty good use.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I think you got pretty good life out of them too...especially in an autoloader.

Was it original factory load when you got them or was it "mystery ammo"? It might've had several loadings before you got the brass...
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

With it being LC43, it was corrosive primed, originally. Possibly the brass was not washed after the initial firing, and the priming salts deteriorated the brass.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

still tho, 6 or 7 cycles for autoloader brass is good.

Now grab you some new brass and see how long it lasts.
  6. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Brass will get brittle with age...I bought a tin of Russkie 7.62x54R that was maybe 30 years old...Many of the necks were cracked...Berdan, so it was fire and forget.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

As a handloader, anytime I can fire and forget is awesome! I hate lookin for brass from an autoloader. especially the mini14, that stupid thing slings em 40 feet.
  8. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Thats the one downside to being a reloader. Sometimes I think I spend more time looking for brass I shot than I do shooting.:banghead: And, every time I get to the range, I'll spend at least 1/2 hour looking for brass others didnt pick up or missed. You know you have it bad when you rummage through the garbage cans to see if anyone threw their brass in the trash!:eek:
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Doesn't everybody do that?
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ha ha, hell yeah. I have found alot of great brass that way.. Heck last time I went to CENTEX with charles and chris we found a box full of .338 lapua mag. and a partial of 7mmSTW. who the hell tosses that stuff???
  11. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Yeah....Hunting for brass can be a real trip...I had an HK 91 that would chunk them into the next county...Today I shoot a lot of semi-auto pistol and rifle...Just at the time my back and knees are telling me to STOP all that bending over...:thud: 20 years ago, I was shooting only revolvers and bolt guns...It didnt hurt then..

So yesterday the little white truck dropped off a package or two...Called a 'Brass Wand"....Cant give you a first hand range report, but watched a couple guys police their brass with one the other day...Slicker than snail snot...I had to have one...so now to go make a lot of reloads into empties and try it out...

I believe it was designed for pecans and other ground nuts, but anticipate it will work well for my brass collecting..and give my back some relief.

[​IMG]
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

nice. post a report please!
  13. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I cant make it to the range until Mon or Tuesday....but this weekend Ill dump some empties on the ground in the back yard and give it a spin...The guys using theirs at the range were very enthusiastic about it...In fact, one reached into his bucket and scattered a handful of 9mm...Couple rolls of the thing and he had them all in the cage...They send you a little wire gizzmo that you put on your bucker that pops the cage open and the empties all fall into the bucket....You can even pick up individual cases one at a time, or roll it along and get everything...

I got mine from Dillon, but there may be cheaper places to buy...Local Farm Co-op may even have them. Midway maybe??
  14. medalguy

medalguy Member

I went out to my favorite shooting spot on BLM land the other day, and someone had been there apparently just prior to my arrival. They very kindly left over 200 rounds of factory Remington .223 and about a hundred rounds of factory Remington 7.62 x 39, not to mention all the .45 and .40 brass I could pick up and put in a 2 gallon bucket I always carry out there. Thankee very kindly whoever you are. Come back real soon. :D:D:D
  15. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

You can make one of those out of a slinky, a piece of 2x4, and a broom handle.