failure to feed

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by solitrav, Jun 23, 2009.

1. solitrav

solitrav New Member

I have a springfield 1911, milspec, bought new. it has had feed pro blems since I bought it. doesn't seem to matter what magazine I use, ( I have used factory mags, wilson combat mags and milspec 1911 mags) feed failures happen with all types of ammo fmj,jhp or beb. Either the slide will not return fully to battery (which can be corrected by a slight tap to the rear of the slide) or the cartridge will jam halfway up the feed ramp, which requires removing the mag and retracting the slide to clear. I have replaced the factory return spring with a stronger one...no help there... full stoppages occour mostly on the first cartridge out of the mag. partial stoppages seem to be random. Any Ideas?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

This will be a slow process without having the pistol here on the bench. Are you shooting reloads? If so, what is the overall length.
    When is the last time the chamber was cleaned ?

You mentioned a stronger recoil spring. Is it over #18.5 ?
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im by no means an expert, but if the gun is new, i would say it needs some light work done to it, such as polish the feed ramp, and barrel hood, very very very slight softening of the chamber mouth at the feed ramp area, sharp edges off of the locking lugs of the barrel and mating edges of the slide. make sure there is no burrs or sharp edges on the firing pin hole in the breech face. and a good cleaning and lube. as i say im no expert, but from the 1911's, and for that matter, most other types of pistols i have encountered new, need some attention to these areas that isn't given at the factory, since hand work is basically non existant in a firearms production environment now. but since im not an expert on any gun, much less the 1911.. .take my advice with a grain of salt

~john
  4. johnlives4christ

also in the work that i would suggest would be to take any sharp edges or burrs off of the slide/frame rail area with some 600 grit paper,
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Me, I'd put it in a box and send it to Springfield. "Hey, Springfield. Gun no worky. Make it work, or send me another'n."

You should not have to do gunsmithing on new guns.
  6. johnlives4christ

ats good advice alpo... i think if you complain to springfield they will pay shipping both ways too
  7. Stealie

Stealie New Member

A new pistol should work right out of the box, I would send it back to Springfield to make it right.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Its been since 6-23 that he has made this post and has not elaborated any further on the problem or given us an update. Makes me wonder....

Jesus...i can't believe i am defending 1911s :eek:

mike
    gn
  9. johnlives4christ

hey glocknut... you should be more like me. just admit you love all guns
  10. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

This sounds like an ejector problem. Ask SA to pin the extractor and not merely glue it as they have been known to do .....
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh..Ok. I guess i do love all guns. some more than others.

mike
    gn
  12. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I agree with alpo, Its new and should run fine. I would send it back to Springfield and have them work the bugs out. I hear people say al the time they need to be broke in. I believe a gun is like a pair of shoes. If they don't work as soon as you try them on, They will always give you trouble. Maybe I have been lucky. All of the semi auto pistols I have ever bought ran flawlessly out of the box with an exception to a Ruger P 94 I had that didn't like to get hot. Just my two cents, JUNK
  13. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Polish the feed ramp.