FAL goes to the range.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by LDBennett, Jul 8, 2008.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Took my Entreprise Arms IMBEL FAL (refurbished Chilean FAL with CA legal features, 10 round fixed magazine, and Entrerprise Arms CNC made receiver with plastic furniture) to the range last weekend. Our shooting range in the CA Sierras has metal targets from 100 yds to over 500yds. We never take paper target as there are perhaps 25 metal target to shoot at, varing in size from a truck brake drum to a full sized NRA silhouette ram, spread between all the ranges.

After a few sight adjustments in windage and adjustment of the gas control, I started shooting at the metal targets at various ranges. Before the session was over I was regualarly hitting the 500+ yd ram target with open sights that are less that precision. That is about the only thing I think I need to change....smaller rear peep sight hole.

The only "problems" with the FAL were the handguard screw loosened and fell off onto the bench which I easily found, and the gas adjuster detent spring is either installed upside down or needs some bending so that it provides real clicks to the gas adjuster ring.

I bought the AGI video on Assembly/Dis-assembly of the FAL and viewed it yesterday so I'm ready to clean the gun today.

Neat gun and worth every penny I paid for it! It looks good when laid next to my two Garands, my Hakim, my Swiss K-31, my CA legal AR-15, my Mauser K98, my Yugo SKS, and my Mosin Nagant sniper replica. I think I just about have my military gun collection complete.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

FAL - Excellent rifle, designed by the same person who did the final work on the Browning Hi Power after JMB passed away at his desk in Belgium.

Good balance, reliable, accurate over a decent range and a respectable cartridge.
  3. Yes, I understand JMB was busy designing a new striker-fired polymer pistol when died, Tranter. Alas, such a perfect design was not to be until the brilliant Gaston Glock came along many years later. ;):D
  4. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Wasn't JMB going senile towards the end? That would explain him designing a striker fired polymer pistol... :D
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

A bakelite 1911 by John Browning (that's about the only plastics we had in the 1920's!) I can't wait till someone picks up that ball and runs with it!
    :) :)

LDBennett
  6. True, LDB, Bakelite was about all they had in Browning's time. Perhaps that is why he never produced the pistol. As you suggest, Glocks are so very advanced and capable, that they could only be produced when advanced technology made them possible. Gaston Glock, of course, recognized that it was finally time to move forward with more modern materials. :D;):p