"falling block" action

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redcloudisalive, Feb 26, 2004.

1. redcloudisalive

redcloudisalive New Member

Could any of you help explain the advantages or disadvantages of a "falling block" action in a single shot rifle to a les than knowledgable cohort? Is it better than a "box lock" or other type of action in a single shot? Thanks in advance!
  2. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Welcome to the TFF forum.

Sorry, have no experience with these type of firearms, but wish I had. I really like what they offer in terms of weight and accuracy.

Wish I could be of more help.

Mike Venterino of Shooting Times magazine is the guy you should write to, he has boocoo experience with all types of these old single shot rifles...and he shoots them too.

Jim
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yup....what Gunguy said....

mike
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The Falling Block goes back to the earliest days of single-shot metallic cartridge actions.

It's main advantages were that it was among the strongest single-shot actions, and was quick and easy to load & unload.
  5. Sackett

Sackett Member

Welcome.
    I shoot a Ruger #1 in .45-70. Love the gun, but I can't really tell you much about adv. or disadvs.
    What I have heard is that the falling block is supposed to be able to handle more powerful loads than typical. I guess this is good news to handloaders.
    Since I just shoot store bought, it doesn't mean anything to me except that if more powerful rounds are developed in my caliber, then the Ruger can handle em.
    Can't say much more about it than that except that single shots really ring my bell.
    Yol Bolsun.