family heirloom, mid to late 1800s rifle, octagon shaped barrel, info desp needed.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ss zero, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ss zero

ss zero New Member

My Father died about 13 years ago and left me with a few family guns.unfortunatly I was not informed too much about the detail specs on this rifle in particular.I was in middle school when this happened and guess that he felt that I was not old enough to get into that sort of thing. The only info that I can remember from him and my Grand Father was that it was the family pride and I was to give it to my most deserving son or daughter to pass on.They said it had been in the family since new and that the family had something to do with the manufacturer at the time.whether these things are true or oldmans tails I have no idea.From what i can see as far as details of the rifle go are...it says H.Elwell warranted on the right side of the gun above the two triggers it has.the barrel is octagon in shape and is 1 inch thick ,inside barrel diameter is a little under 3/8 inch round.and is roughly 23 inches in length. it says W.BARNHART ABOUT 2 THIRDS back from the tip of the barrel on the top of the barrel.total legth of the gun is 38 and a half inches long.I am guessing it is around mid to late 1800s in age.its stock may be made of maple but i am realy guessing on this.I am trying to find any info on this gun that anybody may know about so that i may pass it on to my kids when they get it because i know this is what they would have wanted me to do. I will try and post a picture of it if i can find somebody i know to show me how.if ther is any other info giving details that i may have missed please feel free to tell me where and what to look for.I dont know as much about guns as they did so i apologize for the vague discription and realize that it might not be enough info..
    Thanks in advanced to all who may be able to help me out.
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Pictures needed

H.Elwell was a lock maker and was used on lock by many gun builders.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  3. lead

lead Active Member

Welcome to the forum.
    With an older gun like you describe, it really does help to be able to see it. There can be alot of difference in these models and we don't want to guess, and find out we guessed wrong.
    There are alot of very knowledgeable people who love to help so, hang in there.
  4. ss zero

ss zero New Member

thank you for your replys.when i see my wife this evening i'll see if she knows how to post pics.if not my sister may know how and maybe she can help.i'll try to get some pics posted as soon as i can from dif ang.so as much detail can be seen as possible.
    thanks again.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Re: family heirloom, mid to late 1800s rifle, octagon shaped barrel, info desp needed

When you hit the reply button, scroll down to where it says "additional options". Push the "manage attachments" under the attach files box. It will open a new window. If the file is on your hard drive, use the top section and browse until you find the file. Then hit "upload" button and it will upload the file into your reply. Save the reply and there you go. Size all photo's to print 4"x6" at 96 pixels per inch. DO NOT use 300 pixels per inch.

IPT
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

7. ss zero

ss zero New Member

I am cleaning the gun now so i can give dec pics of it to post.it has been in storage for quite some time. i have found an ingraving of what apears to be a pheasant or some type of bird on the left side of the hammer.i also have to purchase a dig camara to post them.
    thanks again!
  8. skipa

skipa New Member

Re: family heirloom, mid to late 1800s rifle, octagon shaped barrel, info desp needed

I have a similar heirloom. Barrel is longer (41") 6 sided on the outside and 3/8" 7 sided on the inside. Barrel says A. Schn...(can't read rest) on left side upside down. Most of the metal hardware looks like brass. I think it's from my gg grandfather who was from southern Pa and moved to Ohio around 1820. I'm trying to find the age and aproximate value of the gun. I was told it was a flintlock converted to cap.

Skip
  9. RJay

RJay Active Member

skipa, we're still working on ss zero's rifle and by your tacking on it just muddies the water. Start a new post with as much information as possible and with pictures. Good grief, I just looked at the date on ss zeros post, anyway, my advise still stands, go ahead and start a new post.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009