The Firearms Forum banner

Family Heirloom

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  fishguts 
#1 ·
Hi

I hope someone may be able to help. This Flintlock[?] has been in my family for as long as anyone can remember. It is approximately 15inches long and weighes just over 2lbs. The decorative metal appears to be brass. It is in a poor state, I would say, trigger missing, rust on barrel etc. Could anyone tell me when it was made and whether it would be worth having restored. I only want to display it, not fire it. Many thanks for looking.

Underside:

Initials on handle:

Marks on top of barrel:

See less See more
#3 ·
I can't tell you much that you don't know. It is an English holster pistol from the late 18th century or possibly very early 19th. Made in the millitary style, it was probably a private weapon owned by an army officer. The initials appear to be DW or WD; the full name might be available in your family history.

Is it worth restoring? I don't know, as I don't know what the value of that gun would be if it were restored. I understand there are some very fine craftsmen in England who do take on that kind of work and could probably put it back in fine (if not shooting) condition. Be warned that that kind of expertise does not come cheap in terms of either money or time, so be prepared to spend money and wait a long while if you choose to have the work done.

Jim

#4 ·
Welcome to TFF Pete1954,

Unfortunatly, I doubt that it will be worth restoring. It looks as if someone overcharged the piece at one time and it blew-up (notice the wood damage at the bottom of the breech end of the barrel). The hammer may have been lost at the same time, and finding replacement parts will likely be impossible. Wish I had better news.

#5 ·
Thank you all for your replies.

JimK - I didn't know anything about it at all before your reply. I had guessed it may have been owned by my 3 x great grandfather who had the initials WD and he was alive between 1743 and 1837 and was a Yeoman (Farmer). So that fits spot on with your dating! Thanks so much for that.

Contenderizer - I had thought the mechanism looked badly damaged, which is a shame; as fishguts said "If only it could talk"!

Perhaps the best thing to do is gently clean it up and display it showing it's best side.

#6 ·
Before giving up, try asking around at gun shops and antique stores about restorers. I don't know if gun shows or game fairs are allowed any more in the UK, but if there is such a thing, that would be a place to start. If you can get some names, then you can get appraisals as well as ideas on restoration costs.

FWIW, I don't think the cracked stock is due to a blow-up; it is more likely due to the mainspring breaking at one end and cracking the stock. That may have been contemporary with its use, and was the reason it was put aside and neglected.

Jim

#9 · (Edited)
I think that the main spring slipped off the tumbler at some time, you can see it below the lock plate, no explosion here. The cock is miising, the trigger is there. It is restorable, but the price might exceed a few hundred dollars. The roller on the frizzen spring tail would place it, possibly, in the late 18th century for time of manufacture. I sure can't argue with the opinion that it's English. The proof marks look like Birmingham proofs to my eye, for what thats worth! I think it was a quality piece. E.J. Blacksley and Son in your part the world is excellent.

#10 ·
Flintlock - thank you for you comments and recommendation, they are much appreciated as I haven't got a clue about guns. I will certainly get some quotes.

Fishguts - I will post a picture of it, if or when it is restored. It is wonderful to have something that belonged to my ancestor two hundred years ago and it would be good to pass it on to my son in better condition than it is now (it was hidden away in my father's shed for years!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.