fantasy prepper question

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by dbcooper, Dec 8, 2012.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

lets suppose that you are handed 10K in cash for prepping you and your family

How would you spend it?
    list your buys in order of importance..to you
    don't get too carried away explaining why

I think I we all can learn something from this.

I'll start off

additional 40 ft container - 3500
    back up generator- 1500
    seeds and gardening preps 1000
    additional shelf stable food 3000
    medical supplies 1000
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

you don't need to prep, the world is ending in a couple weeks, didn't you hear?

haha!

probably more ammo, kinda low on some stuff like .223 and .308 not to mention .45 acp boolits.

toilet paper

more food

more camping gear/outdoor survival goodies like tarps, stove fuel, etc
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

oh wait, duh.

The first $4k would go towards a new M1A and more mags and accessories... then the other stuff
  4. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

an M1A would be a nice addition to my safe also.:)
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I think it would depend on where you are in your prepping, and what you are prepping for. If you are pretty well set up, as I am, then I think that $10,000 would put me in a well to start with. One I could use a pump with, or a bucket. The rest would go to food, and ammo.
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think I would do 5k on food and 5k on ammo and a mini 14. I would need Ruger mini 14 added to my collection.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

A few thousand dollars worth of .308 ammo, and I am good to go!

Attached Files:

8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

carver you idea on the well is probably a good one. I think the well may cost the whole 10k
  9. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

Used Unimog. Or a bobbed duce and a half. and Ammo
  10. zachp

zachp New Member

Probably lots more ammo, a solar electric system with battery bank, more food, and about 500 gallons of diesel. I already have the well and a generator to run things that are needed.
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

$10k isn't enough for my next step, so it'd just be more food, tools, etc. Maybe make better friends with the Amish down the road. ;)

Sustainable energy is what I need next. And in my area, that means a natural gas well. But that's more like $30k to get everything in place.
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

10K?

About $2000.00 into bullets, primers, brass, and powder.
    A sweet AR. $1200.00
    2 more 1911's. $1500.00
    Four 55 gallon water drums. $300.00
    Food. $1000.00
    Bedding, warm blankets. $400.00
    Clothing, boots. $1000.00
    Fuel for warmth and light. $200.00
    A short wave radio setup. $500.00
    A generator with substantial fuel. $1000.00
    Sanitary supplies. $200.00
    Propane for cooking. 250.00
    Propane dehydrator. $200.00
    Lumber stash for boarding up windows, etc. $450.00
  13. carver

carver Moderator

Down here we can hit good water at around 150-200 feet. My cost for the well, pipe, pump, tubing, and wired to elect., $5,000. To me that is stupid! I don't even want the pump, or any of the other junk, just drill me a hole in the ground, with a 6" pipe. I'll build the well house, buy the bucket, and haul up my own water. But if I needed to right now, I could still drop a hose down the well, and pump water to the pond, or live stock. Nope! You gotta buy the whole package from them!
  14. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

I would think you could hit water a lot shallower then 150 feet in LA. You can hand pound a water well.
  15. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I'm surprised no one has opted for solar power and a wood stove..
  16. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've got the second part. And it's really easy to make one if you don't have one already. But it's a pain in the butt to keep it fueled if your chainsaws can't run.

As for solar power, it's not something that most people can do their own repairs on if it came to that. I know I can't fix a solar panel.
    If you're looking for something like that, a wind generator is your better bet. Much easier to repair and to fabricate replacement parts for.

But if you can get it, gas is the way to go. A natural gas well will keep you powered. Even if your generator dies off, turning natural gas to heat is incredibly simple.
  17. whirley

whirley Member

Let's see if I remember. Before we got electricity in 1940. we had a wood cook stove, and wood burning room heaters. Light was from Aladdin brand lamps that burned kerosene. Much better light than from an ordinary kerosene lamp.They still make them. Our water came from a spring/reservoir on the hill above the house. We had a hand driven well by the barn with a type of hand pump that was almost freeze proof, similar to freeze proof outdoor spigots. I think they're still made. Our privy was 50 feet away from the house, with the woodpile halfway. Coming back from the privy, everyone brought in firewood. Later on, since we had running water, a septic system was installed, with a full bath. We never needed a pump because of the gravity flow water. The excess from the spring was bypassed to a small stream where our cows had access and could be diverted to water the large garden if necessary. The shotguns were handy as were the rifles. Our place was NOT a gun free zone, and the women were in some cases better with firearms than the men. None of them were strangers to firearms. My grandmother was a crackshot with a rifle. If strangers came around, it was yes ma'am and no ma'am. Over the years I have learned that when a woman steps up to the firing line, you're in for some stiff competition. Women competitors are not powder puffs.
  18. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I thought about solar power but I think the crazies would destroy it. In my area it would be an easy target.
  19. carver

carver Moderator

I remember getting electricity in 1960, where we were living at that time. Wood stove for cooking, and heating. No water except for the creek at the bottom of the hill, and a neighbors well. We lived just about like you all did back in 1940! I do have a wood burning heater/stove, just don't have the exhaust pipe for it at this time, but that will be solved soon!
  20. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Solar panels, a wind generator and a bank of deep cycle batteries that I would tie into our house circuits.

A hand pump for our well to go along with the electric one.