farm hunting question

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by pdg929, Jul 9, 2012.

1. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

i have been hunting on a farm for about 2 years b4 the farm i was hunting in the pines baiting ( legal in nj) but any ways the situation at the farm. its a horse farm so there is an abundance of food so i tried baiting and the deer are not comming in to where my stand is. also i have people that drive the farm so im kinda screwed there. but i was wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to get deer into my stand. thank you
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Baiting the deer here in Ohio isnt legal, but mineral licks work well. (block type)
    I've set them out in different places and usually, you want to get them out around this time of year so that the deer will "get on to them" and frequent back from time to time.

Another thing I use while bow hunting out of a stand, is fake scrapes with sent drip.
    There are alot of them on the market and a wide margine of them, but try what you can get and see what sort of results you get.
    Also, while in the pre-rut and full rut, get you some patches hung up about 4ft or so off the ground saoked with "doe-in-heat" and it should get'em in near.
  3. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Are you required to just hunt out of that stand, are there trails within shooting distance of your stand and if so are they heavily used primary trails or seldom used secondary trails. Have you thought about still hunting or spot and stalk. Maybe try a tree stand or ground blind depending on what you hunt out of now. When you say "drive the farm" is that in vehicles or do they have drivers that walk through and drive the deer towards the shooter and a mineral block does do a great job when there's plenty of food, but there may be a natural lick around also.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You might want to try rattling. Have you really scouted the land on which you hunt? You have to know when the deer move, where they are moving to, and from where they are moving, or bedding down. If you know these things you won't need to bait them. You set up your stand, and ambush them!
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Ditto the above posts, you need your stand where the deer go not where it looks good to you. Look at wood edges and not deep woods and look where the runs are. Find the bedding areas and try and see where they go from there when they are up and about.
  6. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

i have my tree stand on a main deer trail theres numerous scrapes and rubs around .. they move from the neighbors property to my piece of land ...and their patterns change with the season. when the corn grows they are out in the field. as soon as the corn is harvested around fall they move to the neighbors property than when december comes there is no real pattern bc the driverss( guys that walk thru the woods and hunt) push them out of my area. than in january they start to come out rite at dark.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Got it, it's the hunting pressure moving them out of their usual track, that sucks because I have the same problem. With me having to walk on crutches most of the time woods walking and changing my blind is not an option so I sits and waits while I look down at deer sign all around me.
  8. hstout1143

I hunt utah mulies when I can and every year without fail around 12 on opening day a convoy of 5-6 trucks shows up full of people aged 3 to 85 with pots and pans in their hands and drive out every deer in the woods in front of our camp. We usually have a couple of deer by then and the area that we hunt is a good 50 square miles, but the best area is that 2 square miles that they've driven, the locals only hunt on the weekend and we are there for the whole season and with little hunting pressure during the week it still takes till wednesday/ thursday for the deer to come back. If you're hunting whitetails I would take a few days off before opening day and do as much scouting as you can without pressuring them in their beds, so opening day at first light you're on a shootable deer.
  9. hstout1143

Also can you bait with something that is not just regular food that they can get everywhere, say maybe apples or acorns? Something that can't get anywhere else in the area, something that would be a treat.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  11. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

LIsten to "Old Grump", he's speaking the truth. When I lived back east, I never had any luck trying to get deer in this place or that; had to be in traditional places they used, not where I wanted to shoot them. In ALaska, we have natural mineral licks every couple miles and we often dress them up some. Find a place where the deer are digging a hillside back, under cutting it some to get at the dirt.
  12. hstout1143

If you do put out a salt or mineral block, pit it out several weeks before the season starts to give them time to find it.
  13. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

thanks for the input guys.. as far as bait goes corn, apple, sweetpotatos, sweedfeed with molases ill try some salt( hope they dont turn into zombie deer) lol and ill start putting some lures and my deer cam out