Fastest drawing revolver :)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gun runner, Jan 23, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Id like to know what seems the fasted drawing revolver or lightest weight and easier to grip with a bigger caliber like a .44 magnum to draw out of a average leather holster just for safety and fun :D. I carry a Springfield 9mm on the farm for back up but Im thinking of going the old western ways :rolleyes:. Im looking at Smith and Wesson but Im looking towards a Colt. Many of my heroes like wyatt earp(my avatar) and doc holliday used colts. I just want something fun and fast for backup when I walk my dangerous pastures. I seen some sick bs. A chewed up bull the other day dead. Im thinking a wild cat or javelina got the poor thing. Oh yeah, Im buying another .223 Savage Model 25 just for kicks on Tuesday, That way I will have one my dad too. We are going to get this problem under control.
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

gun runner, your question is one that is mainly determined my your own prefferance. many who like the western appeal use a 6" revolver to help tame the barell flip many larger revolvers have. but that being said...for a faster "draw" a 4" barrel is faster, but not nessary as accurate. many old revolvers were 5-6 inch. some were even 7-8 inch..it came down to each cowboys preferance and what he used it for! the longer usually were more for hunting game, the shorter for self protection and of course a "faster "draw.

as to your bull..it would have to have been a BIG cat to have killed it as cats do not usually kill any thing larger than they can carry off. maybe a pack of wild dogs? dont know about the pig..maybe, but dont have any experience with them.

either way a larger cal will serve you best for whatever it was. just remember a fast shot that missed isnt as good as a slow shot that connects!
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

That's amazing, I'm at my desk watching an old WILD WEST TECH with Carradine.

They're showing the old west quick draws and all their tricks like special holsters, pouches, saddle bags. Showing those great old Colts in action.

Neat stuff!
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

That's exactly right, they showed old saloon quick draw guys that would cut their guns down to about 4" for concealment and close up quick draws. They'd cut their holsters, adjust their trigger springs, you name it. Some even cut away the trigger guards....no thanks!

Long distance I'd want a 6", I have a real neat western style .22 LR with an interchangable .22 MAG cylinder to play around with.

In gun runner's case I'd stick with a cannon.
  5. BillM

BillM Active Member

Well--If I were looking for a sixgun to pack along while
    checking fences etc, I would probably get a Ruger
    44 special Blackhawk. Model number is 5232 on the
    4.62" version, they also make a 5 1/2". Flattop,
    adjustable sights--and built like a tank.

A few ounces lighter, smaller and a couple of hundred
    cheaper than the Super Blackhawk.
  6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

a cannon? hahaha :D
  7. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

Just make sure you buy a cross draw holster. Cool and fast!
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

lol, i used to sit on my front porch to drink a few beers and smoke some cigarettes but now I sit in my closed up welding/mechanic shop that we got next to the house. I fear feeding my dogs at night after javelinas cut my blood hound on the chest. I love cats so I dont want to kill one so if its a cougar im going to try some other alternative way to get him/her out the way. There was a loose bengal tiger that someone let loose or the cat escaped in Atascosa county, Texas a few years ago. It killed quite a few pets and livestock but even though I still wouldnt kill it unless it was life threatning. I will keep an eye out. Im considering purchasing a bushmaster ar10 .308 caliber assault rifle to walk our place. Thanks for the replies.
  9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Better to learn control draw and conroled fire . All that quick draw stuff is good if you wish to shoot your self sooner or later. Atleast start with a quality holster like this-http://www.mernickleholsters.com/fd/fd1.html.

When you think your fast , watch a Bob Munden video.

Probably coyotes got your bull. For that a nice .223 ar varment model would do. And there really is no need for any quick draw games exect for fun and then get a good holster designed for that protection against stupid.

Check out Cimarron firearms. Basic colt copys are priced right and you can get about anything used in the old days. Even copies of move guns. like this-http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/ModelP/CA558-WyattEarpBntln.htm
  10. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Won't matter what brand or model. It will matter how much you plan to practice and shoot whatever becomes your choice. Drawing of any handgun and shooting it (accurately) takes lots and lots and then more lots of practice.
    Begin very slowly and at very close distance from your intended target. The speed will come with practice and accuracy will do the same. But patience is virtue if ya know what I mean.

As for the bull, no cat made in the USA will take or attempt to take a bull down unless the bull is very sick or the cat is very sick or old or both. Will not happen. They may eat at it after it is down. Same for Javelina, they will not attack anything bigger thana a small dog, unless they are cornered or in some way trapped. Then, they will fight out of it and run away.

So if you are looking for something that took the bull down and want to arm accordingly, it would be wolves or yotes would be my educated guess.
    Any handgun or rifle will do for either and of course there are so many models to pick from it becomes a "what would you prefer".

Let us know what you come up with and in particular what you find got your bull..

UF