The Firearms Forum banner

Favorite 22 rifle???

17K views 73 replies 53 participants last post by  waveski 
#1 ·
What is your favorite 22 rifle? Mine is the Winchester Model 1906, this has been in our family for over 70 years. It is a great shooter for all ages.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine is the CZ 452 American and the 455 Varmint, can't decide between them.

#4 ·
At the cost of throwing a lot of my other .22s under the bus, it would have to be a tie between two for me as well. My long-time, old-time favorite being my Rem. 512X Sportmaster (my first "brand new" .22 over forty years ago) and a much newer favorite being my Ruger 77/22 in stainless/laminate.

#3 ·
Mine would be the Remington Speedmaster 552. I don't own one at this time. I had to sell the one I used to own, and have just never got around to buying another. They ain't cheap, and you don't find them in the pawn shops around here very often.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

#11 ·
Found mine at the local Gun&Pawn. Paid $175 for it. Dirty, filthy even. And non-functional when got it. Checked it, and found a LIVE Winchester .22LR round in the chamber, with heavy primer dents! OOPS!!
I carefully unchambered the stuck round, stripped, cleaned and refinished the rifle. Now it looks great, shoots reliably and is very decently accurate. One of my favorite .22 rifles.
Check on new 552's, and they go for $650 plus, IF you can find one. I am very pleased with mine.
I have bought a lot of pawnshop guns. Must be an unspoken rule among them..... NEVER clean a gun! :rolleyes:

The 552 is an interesting comparison to my late Father's old Remington 550-1, that he bought the year I was born - 1957. I still have it. :cool:

#9 ·
I forgot to mention that the Remington Speedmaster 552 will feed, and fire, any .22LR bullet you can stick in it, shorts, longs, long rifle, and mini-mags.

#13 ·
Where to start? I have several .22s and shoot them all so I suppose my favorite is the one I'm aiming downrange at the time. If I had to choose one and only one probably my Remington model 12, that thing is one sweet shooting little gun.

#14 ·
I own several:
  • CZ-452 Military Trainer
  • Mossberg 340-KC
  • Savage Mk-II F
  • Henry Acu Bolt
  • Mossberg 702 Plinkster
  • H&R Sportster
  • Beretta NEOS Carbine
Believe it or not,,,
The Henry is my personal favorite.

It's just so dang pleasant to shoot. :)

Aarond

#15 ·
I have five .22 rifles. I kind of lean toward two of them as my favorite. I have a hard time deciding if it is the Mossberg 42M(b) that my father gave me when I was about 12, or the Remington 550-1 my Grandmother bought me for HS graduation present.

If I had to choose only one it would probably be the Mossberg.

#18 ·
I don't seem to have near as many as you folks.

Henry H001T
Winchester 1906
Mossberg 151M
Ruger 10/22
Henry Mini Bolt (for the yungins)

Of these I'd say the Winchester tops my list. But I have my eye on a Browning Trombone at an LGS I frequent. Just can't get past the $1,000 price tag just yet.

#19 · (Edited)
Went to town with my best friend in the mid 70's. Stopped at the hardware store and I bought him a Browning BL.22 and, he bought me one. It is by far the best .22 I have ever owned. My friend died about 8 yrs ago. Money could not buy my BL.22

#21 ·
My all time favorite .22 is my Pop's (Grandpa's) Winchester 67A. The stock is a tad scuffed from Grandma and Pop using it on their farm, and scores 0f us grandkids learning how to shoot with it. My grandson shot it the last time he was here at a spinning .22 target at 25 yards - hit the target with his first shot and said "Thanks, Pop!". That one is a keeper.

I do have a couple of 10-22s, and they keep the ground squirrel population down in the wife's garden. The one I get to claim is stocked with a green/grey laminate stock and topped with a 6X Leopold scope. The other 10-22 is my wife's Obozo Special. Bought it the day after Obozo won his first Prez election. Standard Carbine model with a Bushnell 3X9 Sportview scope. Also have a Colt .22 M4, it's accurate and reliable with CCI Tactical ammo, but dang - I just can't get past that pencil thin steel barrel within the fake outer barrel. Have 2 of those CMMG .22 conversion kits for my ARs - and they really work great for plinking.

#27 ·
Without a doubt my Marlin model 60. I have lots of nicer ones, but I have so many memories of hunts, shooting and just plain ol fun times with it. It's the last gun I'd get rid of.

Reactions: joe45c
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.