The Firearms Forum banner

Favorite .45 load?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ysacres 
#1 ·
magnum74
(11/15/02 11:19:16 pm)
Reply Favorite .45 load?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This topic is kinda for fun and curiosity...what's your favorite all around .45 ammunition you like to use? For all around use and in any situation...remember just one.

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(11/16/02 6:50:34 am)
Reply Re: Favorite .45 load?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a loaded question.

Since I shoot alot, reloading is a must.
So I shoot 200 gr. LSWC.

For carry, Winchester Black Talon or Federal Hydra-Shok. Both in 230 gr.
I'd go broke fast shooting these at targets.

Which ammo do you use and how much do you shoot ??????????

Xracer
*TFF Senior Staff*
(11/16/02 8:46:08 am)
No such thing as a single favorite load......and actually, even then, it would vary slightly from gun-to-gun.

But, taking an average load that worked well in all of my 1911s.....

Paper punching & tin can shooting: 200 gr. SWC, 3.5 gr. Bullseye, CCI LP primer, WCC 69 Brass

Carry: 200 gr. Speer Lawman SJHP, 6.9 gr. Unique, CCI LP primer, WCC 69 Brass

Bowling pins: 250 gr. Keith-Type (designed for 45 LC), 6.4 gr. Unique, CCI LP primer, WCC 69 Brass.

If I HAD to pick one load to "do everything", I guess I'd pick the bowling pin load.

rayra
V.I.P. Member
(11/16/02 5:17:02 pm)
for IPSC, practice, and teaching other people the basics - 200gr LSWC, Win primers, Unique or Win231 (IPSC 'Major' charge, forget offhand the grains, have to go check.

carry, had some 200gr JHP over a stiff charge, hollow-point cup was big enough to drink a shot out of. Believe they were Speers.

And occasionally 230gr RN.

(no such thing as 'just one' )
Rich

magnum74
(11/18/02 11:19:35 pm)
Geeeez...lotta fancy schmansy stuff guys...just give me 230 grains of full metal jacket...easy enough? Served our country well for over 40 years, am I right?

Xracer
*TFF Senior Staff*
(11/19/02 9:40:53 am)
Reply Re: Fancy-Schmancy? :)
You've got a point Mag....some of the best pin shooters in our club used regular "GI Ball" and did very well with it......but half of the fun of realoading is working up "fancy-schmancy" loads.

magnum74
(11/19/02 10:39:22 pm)
Very true! Unlike me I am the frugal warrior...lol...I unfortunately don't have a reloading center...having one in a small apartment is out of the question...lol...but until then the good ol' ball will do.

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(11/22/02 8:06:34 am)
Just remember to save your brass. You'll probably meet someone to reload it for you.

magnum74
(11/22/02 11:06:03 pm)
Ya think someone would do such a thing...cuz let me tell you man! I know quite a few shooters...well supposedly they say they're shooters, but then again it's easy to memorize a article and spit it back to someone...and they don't give a damn rat's a** about helping out their fellow firearms enthusiast. Here in Southern Cali that is.

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(11/23/02 7:53:42 am)
now, that's a shame.

Xracer
*TFF Senior Staff*
(11/23/02 9:03:25 am)
Yep.....nothin' like a good piece of brass.

Crpdeth
V.I.P. Member
(11/23/02 6:49:30 pm)
Re: Fancy-Schmancy? :)

------------------
United We Stand

JayL
(12/2/02 10:35:35 pm)
Quote:

I try to keep it simple, and practice with what I carry. Since I like to practice a lot, it needs to be an economical reload. Since I ocassionally shoot pins and IDPA informally, it has to have the punch for that. So, I've settled on.....

WLP Primers
Starline Brass
9.0gr HS6
230gr Rainier Plated HP

Jay
"Move, Shoot, Communicate!"

Edited by: JayL at: 12/2/02 10:37:40 pm

rhinoman
(12/26/02 6:28:41 pm)
Reply 230gr FMJ
A few of you guys mentioned 230gr FMJ, fine for practice or fun but no way for carry. The Geneva convention allows only the use of FMJ bullets. That's why the military uses 230gr FMJ's in thier .45's. The Geneva convention requires FMJ BECAUSE there are many things that can be done to make a bullet more lethal. Manufacturers of civilian ammo operate within a different set of constraints and are able to produce ammo that is much more effective than FMJ! I'm not an expert but this is what I've come to understand is the case.
I carry either 164gr Hydroshoks or 230gr Hydroshoks in my G30. I prefer the 230's but can't always get them. I don't reload nor do I have the time to do so. Any other suggestions for commercially available ammo?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.