Favorite "BUSH" carbine and caliber

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by hunter29180, Aug 23, 2011.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

wife and i were talking..(yes..more than 5 seconds..no I DID NOT get a KLONDIKE bar...) we we discussing what rifle she wanted to deer hunt with. since i will have to buy 2 rifles next year anyways. one for her and one for me.

we both are partial to lever actions, but dont let that limit your choice.
    she likes the 30-30 or the 30-06. not bad choices in a lever action for her, and short enough to be easily used in "brushy" areas. she says the 30-06 will take down any north american game she will hunt. Personally i think the 30-06 recoil may be a bit much for her..she has carpel tunnel in both wrists and a pinched nerve in her shooting shoulder.

my choices..454 casuel in a lever action, i like this because its a true Brush popper, the heaver round wont be deflected easily, and it shoots the 45lc for practice. or and i found this at Classic Arms..(hope they still can get these when its my turn to buy!!) ROMANIAN 7.62X54R SEMI-AUTO PSL SNIPER RIFLES

love the wood on this one, and while its a bit long for "Bush" hunting..with a 1000 yd range I hope to be on a hill out of the "bush!

Anyways post your FAVORITE rifle for "Bush" hunting or other deer rifle. list caliber also..and if you can why its your favorite!
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

Ruger .44 carbine-it's short, light, and points really well for me.
    Marlin model 30- .30-30, it's a great lever gun and accurate as can be.
    Ruger #3-.375 WInchester, no deer I have hit with this has taken another step.
    A .62 caliber flintlock rifle made by Kit Ravenshear, because it was built by a good friend, who loved history as much as I do.
  3. Airdale

Airdale Member

Years ago I bought a Marlin .44 mag. carbine in a pawn shop in almost new condition. The 44 Mag is really tame in the carbine. I have never even considered selling this gun, it's become one of my favorites.:thumbsup:
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I had the Romy PSL for several years. It is defiintely not for the woods. Fun to play with but not always reliable and waaay to long for woods. Point of aim shifts pretty rapidly with that thin, long barrel when warm. Look cool, fun gun, but can't recommend it for serious hunting. Takes a lot of tinkering to get it to shoot(crappy trigger, chamber is sometimes rough,etc.) Don't waste your money. Lots better out there. The Saiga in 308 is much more reliable , if that's the way you want to go. Shorter barrel, reliable, good round,customizable. Put some PSL type wood on it and go to town! IMHO
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  5. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

30-30 Marlin or Win, time tested and proven,

Follow up questions, not a thread jack,

Do you think the more "pointed" Lever Revolution type ammo would make a "brush busting" round more apt to deflect off of a twig or small branch?

And what gives these calibers their brush busting ability? is it the slower speed or the heavier projectile?, or a combination?
  6. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I dont have one, but if I did it would be a Marlin Guide Gun .45-70.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

right now at this very moment, my only bush gun is a mini 14. Unless you count pistols and revolvers. then ive got 3 good candidates.
  8. hunter29180

I prefer a RNF for bush hunting. the more pointy a bullet is the easier to deflect off a small twig. and both the mass and the speed contrubite to its ability to "power" through the small twigs in the brush.

please do not think any projectile will not deflect off a small branch. a twig in my book is no larger than the tine of a regular fork. any larget it has the potential to deflect the bullet.
  9. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

If you like lever actions, that .44 magnum in a lever gun is SWEET. I'd go along with flintlock and Airdale, either a lever Winchester or Marlin, or that Ruger .44 carbine.

Bought my wife a used Winchester .44 magnum Model 94, and she loves it. The accuracy amazed me. Shooting my own cast bullets that I'd loaded down for her (used to be MINE...) .44 revolver, shot a ragged hole in the paper at 50 yards, and about a 3 inch group at 100 with open sights. Got it for about $400 at a Gun Show.

The .30/30 is great in a lever gun, but full power loads have a sharp recoil in a light rifle. Just a matter of personal taste.
  10. twobit

twobit Member

For a pump brush gun my vote would be a Remington 760 in 30-06.
  11. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

twobit - that 760 is an outstanding rifle, and the .30-06 is a caliber equaled or surpassed by few. Just curious, are you talking about a 760 with a VERY short carbine length barrel on it?. I guess I don't know the exact definition of the AOL a rifle should be to be considered a 'bush carbine'.

My favorite deer/elk hunting rifle is a post-64 Winchester standard Model 70 in .30-06 with a 3X9 duplex scope. Would'nt work well in heavy brush, but has always worked great in the Rockies. I prefer 150/165 gr SPBT for Mule Deer and 180s for Elk.
  12. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

I've an 1876 Winchester repro chambered in the 45-60 cartridge that I'm rather fond of. Smokeless load is a 300 gr. Sierra hp with IMR 3031 powder...blackpowder load is a home cast 300 gr. flatpoint with 60 grs. of Goex Cartridge Grade. Good enough for anything in my neck of the woods.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Rember that the Lever Revolution type bullets are not full weight bullets, they are lighter, and develop more speed in which ever caliber they are used in. 160 & 165 gr bullets only for the 30-30.

I perfer the .44 Mag with 240gr Hornady XTP's as a brush gun, and the old tried & true 30-30 ain't no sloutch either.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  14. Boris

Boris Former Guest

YL12-1J4, 73 caliber
  15. savage170

savage170 Member

The top one in the picture savage 99 .300 savage
    [​IMG]
  16. hunter29180

personally its the bottom one that catches my eye!
  17. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

The favorite 'Bush' carbine is a liberal.

Sorry... I couldn't resist.:p
  18. hunter29180

ok i can accept that one!!:eek:
  19. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

My personal favorite was a Winchester 94 XTR Big Bore in .375 Winchester, with a 1-4 Redfield on it. Unfortunately, during post divorce 'tight times' I let it go, and at todays prices for that particular rifle, its become an extremely costly option. :(
  20. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I like my old Win 94 32 Win Spcl but if I didn't have it I would seriously consider the BLR in 7MM-08 or .308. Best brush buster I have would be the .348 but that is not a gun you want to shoot a lot unless you need help clearing your sinuses.

Add a forward mounted scout style base for a long eye relief 4X scope and you have a fast handling gun that gives you a nice gun for those 50 to 300 yard shots.