Favorite hot sauce

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Appliancedude, Oct 25, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I bought a brand new bottle of original tabasco sauce today, I ran out the other day. I used it on some crispy taco's. That stuff is good :)
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oh, this is war I tell you, WAR!!!
  3. vytoland

vytoland New Member

tabasco....the only one i like
  4. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

And yet he still wont answer the question. Hmmmm something fishy going on here:D Ok so maybe spicy brown mustard is to hot for ya. what is it then spicy ranch?:D
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    No Sriracha but I am in the process of using a lot of Dave's Insanity Sauce at the moment, the other two I use depending on what I am eating. I keep a fair size variety of Cajun, Mexican, Indian and Asian sauces, salsas and peppers on hand. My ex wifes cousin the big tough body building marine learned not to eat pizza the way this old sailor did. What was medium mild to me was insanely hot to his Irish palate. I never in my life ever seen anybody go over backwards in his chair before while sober.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

How are you growing them? From seed? So far I have only ordered the Scorpion in sauce form, online, but would love to grow my own...

Just goes to prove what I've always said... Breathing fire isan't a "tough guy" thing, but more of a taste preference.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

This is the same guy who threw up when I fed him frog legs. I make my own dip with coarse ground horseradish, lemon, chili sauce and Worcestershire. He wisely declined my dipping sauce. He ate one leg, turned green and it was off to the throne room. Said he kept thinking about a little one legged frog hopping around inside his belly and it made him queasy.

My brother in law held his down but he was awful white under that red hair, he liked his frog leg but the sauce was a bit much for him. It baffles me because I didn't consider it hot, just spicy with a nice tangy bite.
  8. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

I like hot, but its got to have flavor too. I wont eat hot just for hot sake. My butt would hate me the next day. I went to a chilli cook off once and ate some tasty chilli. But one was so damned hot you couldn't taste anything. Whats the point? To show how manly you are? Nope, not for me. I already know how manly I am. Now temper that hot chilli with some flavor and now we have something.

I've never had frogs legs. I heard they taste like chicken though. True or not?
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Not true and snake don't taste like chicken and alligator don't taste like chicken. Come to think of it the factory produced chicken we get in the store today don't really taste like real chicken. Us old codgers who grew up on small farms are used to eating range chicken who ate bugs and seeds in the yard or pasture and not just a commercial feed mix laced with vitamins, hormones and antibiotics.
  10. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Wasabe horseradish
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

I tell you what IS funny, Grump... What is funny are those guys who seriously DO think it's a manly thing, who are not accustomed to the heat in a gastric way of speaking... Ya try to tell them that it's not a tough guy contest, but they dont get it. OMG, Jeff would kill me if he knew I was telling this, but your story perked my memory. I guess it was last winter or the one before when he stopped by as I was just finishing up a nice, enjoyable day of playing in the kitchen... There was some good ol' slow cooker, pinto beans, Mexican cornbread and pan fried potatos and brother it was all laced with my favorite peppers which include the habanero and bhut jolokia. Jeff proclaimed that the smell was great and inquired as to why he wasn't invited. I laughed and told him that this was a fire breathing night (My mistake), but he was welcome to it! Alternatively there is an armada of cereal in the cabnet.... I guess he felt challenged, he was Army strong and hadn't been out long, he could most likely kick my white ass in a bare knuckle brawl, has a body covered in tattoos.... Pretty tough ol' boy! I have to admit that throughout the meal I was thinking that he was familar to the heat because I was feeling it. He finished what he was having, put his dinnerwear in the kitchen and came back "not feeling so well", lol, I'm sorry but I had to snap a pic with my cell phone just before he ran out back to get rid of all that good cooking. It gets worse, his girl friend who has known me forever shows up while he is out there hurling, telling him that he should know better and all that. lol..... Come on people... It's NOT a tough guy thing! :D:D:D

I gotta post this pic of him right before he ran outside.... :D

Attached Files:

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Tobasco everything else is a cheap knock off.
  13. Sandman

Sandman Member

Not a big Tabasco fan. I actually like Hog's Breath the best. Louisiana is good also. There is a habanero that we have at home that I really like as well, but I don't remember the brand. Tastes kind of like Hog's Breath, but has a little more kick.
  14. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Not a tough guy thing, the toughest palate I ever saw belonged to a red head woman marine about 5'6 and maybe 120 pounds. She would eat jalapenos out of a jar and wash them down with the tequila that had the worm in the bottle. I followed her for about half a bottle and had enough, she finished the jar the bottle and ate the worm.

It;s an acquired taste, Grandpa was French and an ex lumberjack, he smothered everything with black pepper. Great Grandpa was a Bohunk and ex blacksmith and covered everything with his home grown garlic or home grown horseradish. I grew up eating breakfast with them so...

By the time I was in the Navy and introduced to Tex Mex and Cajun cooking, (Bless you Justin Wilson), my palate was more than ready. My best friend was also a pepper head so we dined on things most other people would never touch. That's how I found out I like sushi, sashimi, escargot and rattle snake.

Frog legs was just something I grew up with, you go camping, you set up by a creek so you can go trout fishing so naturally there would be frog legs for breakfast. You butcher a hog you eat brain for breakfast with baked beans and scrambled eggs. Give me a big package of kidneys and get out of my way cause I'm cooking. I feel kind of sorry for all those who can only eat what is packaged and comes out of a store.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Don't know where you grew up, but you sound like a Louisiana native. My favorite hot sause is Louisiana brand, followed by Crystal, and Bull brands. All made on Avery Island. I will eat Texas Pete, and Tabasco sauce, or just about anything you put in front of me. When I was in my late teens I lived in south TX. Wasn't old enough to go to the bars, or buy beer. I had a bunch of Mexican friends, and we would go to the main drag in town to watch the drag races on the streets. Back then you could buy jalapenos for a nickle each. We would each buy a dollars worth of peppers, and a large fountain drink, sit on the hood of the car, eat, drink, and watch the races. Pork brain, and eggs; hog head cheese, pigs ear, pigs feet, chicken feet, and so much more, the foods I grew up eating! I guess I'm just another Andrew Zimmern, if it looks good, I'll eat it!
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012