Favourite Song?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TranterUK, Jan 10, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Enough of bullets, wound ballistics etc, lets lighten it for the weekend. Whats you favourite song and if you want to, why?

Mine? Nat King Cole singing Mona Lisa. No particular reason I just always liked him and the song.

There is a song that reminds me of a bad time, its a Billy Joel number c.1980/2 but I stay away from it. Spooky how music can do that? And some smells?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I really don't have a favorite song but one of the ones I can relate to most easily is Lynyrd Skynyrd - Take Me and Mine... :)

"Oh, well I can see the concrete 'a slowwwwly creepin'... Lord take me and mine before that comes.."

You'd have to know where I grew up and how the area has changed to realize the significance of that... :)
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  3. A very difficult question to answer for me, Tranter. There are so many I am very fond of. I guess I would have to say "Scarborough Fair" as done by Simon and Garfunkel, closely followed by "Sounds of Silence" by the same duet. Oh, and I must agree, Nat King Cole was indeed a fantastic singer, and Mona Lisa was one of his very best. I have it on my computer in fact.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Ah Ha! I have everything on my new HP Laptop, which as it happens is on my lap right now !!!! You see I discovered UTube. It seems to have everything ever done in the history of the world. :)

Any how I am off with Son to KFC or McDs now.
  5. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Whenever a new Beatles song came out, THAT was my favorite. I still enjoy and listen to them today. "I Am The Walrus" comes to mind. Love the 60s, 70s, and 80s music, but not too keen on todays' music. I guess I'm not that angry anymore. TJ
  6. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I have two, sorry, couldn't nail it down to just one! First though is Barbra Streisand (I know, I know you either love her or hate her, and I don't just mean politically!) when she sings "The Way We Were" and secondly, Frank Sinatra "I Did it My Way." Both of those are real classics!
  7. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

"Wildwood Flower"......A Carter Family song..... For a lot of reasons.... >MW
  8. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

I would have to say Highway To Hell AC/DC

I also like Gimme Back My Bullets Lynyrd Skynyrd but that might bring us back to gun topics.:)
  9. guntech59

guntech59 New Member

Metallica - Enter Sandman

Bob Seger - Like A Rock

Two completely different genres but, both work for me.
  10. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Dimmu Borgir "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse"
  11. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

im in the same boat as pistol...there are soooo many songs that i like. i cant narrow it down to just one. i love 60's - 80's rock (ac/dc, metallica, white snake, rolling stones, you get the idea)...SOME country music (depends on the artest.....and hey, i'd listen to Taylor Swift even if she couldnt carry a tune in a bucket...she is absolutely beautiful:p;)...imho) i also like a lot of the "angry" music, in particular the German death metal band Rammstein. and here lately i have taken to my heratige and really gotten into Blue Grass. If any of y'all like blue grass music i suggest coming to my humble little county here in God's Country (wilkes county, nc) on the 23rd through the 26th of april...we have an annual event called "merlefest", at the local community college, in honor of Merle Watson started by his brother "Doc" Watson. Doc is blind and i belive could still give Skaggs or Skruggs a run for their money. A lot of big names have performed there over the years (Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Allison Craus and Union Station.....) ive met people from all over the world there.. you can google it or here is a link to their home page http://www.merlefest.org/MerleFestCMS/default.aspx (Doc is the white headed fellow in the first few pics) but...(as i try to get back on the main point)....i could narrow it down to 2. 1)Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man"....i pretty much see that as a song to live by. to me it says be true to yourself and 2) The Eagles "Seven Bridges Road" with "Take it Easy", "Desperado", or "Lyin Eyes" tagging not too far behind
  12. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

AC/DC - Big Gun
    CCR - Bad Moon Rising
    Eric Church - These Boots

Some of my favorites
  13. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Being a classical nut I have several - - -

Beethoven Piano Concerto #1, Beethoven Violin concerto, Mendelssohn Piano and violin concertos, Mozart Surprise Symphony, Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto, Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto and a few Schubert and Dvorak items would round out the favorites.

I would also include the entire Handel Messiah in the group. I love to sing [First Tenor] in this, also, with full symphony orchestra for accompaniment. Did it one year with Jeno Blau and the Philadelphia Orchestra when a Junior and Senior at Rutgers as part of the Rutgers Chorale.
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Good to see another Metallica fan...

Whiskey in the jar... (It's an old Irish folk song ya know!)

Youtube Vid

And by Hootie... Let her cry.

Video

Crpdeth
  15. artabr

artabr New Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009