Fed Ord Refurbished Mauser Broomhandle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 4, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Oakman
    (2/5/03 7:33:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Refurbished Broomhandle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have inherited a refurbished Broomhandle Mauser in excellent condition. The under side of the barrel shows “Refurbished Fed Ord Inc. - S.E.M. CA USA”. It is a 9mm, marked with the Mauser banner and “Made in Germany” on the left side. “Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf” is marked above the chamber and on the right side. It has a 5 1/2” stepped barrel and the side of the barrel is marked “9mm Parabellum”. The grips have 24 grooves. Serial numbers don't match of course. When I first saw the gun I thought I had inherited an almost mint condition broomhandle until I took a closer look at it. It certainly turned heads at the shooting range though.
    What would be a fair asking price for this weapon? Any help is appreciated.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 8:47:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Refurbished Broomhandle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FedOrd did a pretty respectable job on their rebuilds, but like you noted, they are normally mismatched. Is it the original 7.63 Mauser caliber, or rebarreled to 9mm?

Back in the 1980s these were going $300 to $350, but now days they are running $500 to $650, with the 9mm rebarreled ones getting a little more price. These are basically good looking shooters, and collecting value is not very great on these.

Now there are a limited number of the Astra Model 902 pistols that were redone by FedOrd. They converted them to semi-auto and removed the selector switch, but the pistols still take the 20 round detachable mags. These do have some collecting interest due to their rareity, and will fetch a fair price if you find them.

Oakman
    (2/5/03 3:31:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Refurbished Broomhandle
    Thanks for the response. Now at least I have an idea of what I can ask for and what a dealer will offer me for the mauser.

Thanks again from another Bob in the St. Louis area.