Federal 30-30 with Speer Grand Slam Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Dead.Eye.Steve, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Dead.Eye.Steve

Dead.Eye.Steve New Member

Has anyone had experience with Federal's #3030AG (150 grain) or #3030BG (170 grain) using Speer Grand Slam bullets?

These high-speed shells have about 15% more downrange energy than the regular bullets from the Big 3 and are only $10.64 at Cheaper Than Dirt.

200 yard Muzzle Energy is impressive for a 30-30 round! Haven't seen any factory ammo with better figures.

Comment or suggestions?
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

Dead.Eye.Steve

I am not ignoring your question. I just don't know the answer. I figured if I tell you that it will at least get the question back up to the top of the page where some of the moderators of this forum who know about reloading can help you.
  3. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

I'm no help there Dead.Eye.Steve, but please do check back, 1 of the Mod/Hosts should be along any time.

And Welcome to the Firearms Forum.

It's nice to have you with us.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi D.E.S and welcome to TFF! Although I have never shot the 30-30 Win. I have used both the Speer Grand Slam (160gr in .270 Win) in my rifle and it is a fine bullet. It is one of Speer's premium line of bullets. The only thing you might also consider is the Federal with the Nosler Partion 170gr. I have also used Noslers and actually prefer them over the Speer. Either way, at the price you mentioned, you cannot go wrong. Pick up a box and try it in your weapon. Good luck and let us know!
  5. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Welcome sir! Although I have not used the Grand slams in a 30=30 it does sound impressive. I do know from reloading for 30-30s that typically the jacket is thinner than on other .30 caliber jackets to allow more expansion with the milder velocities produced in the 30.-30s. Also the price sure sounds right too!
  6. Dead.Eye.Steve

Dead.Eye.Steve New Member

Shot-up a couple of boxes of .30-30 ammo this morning with my two sons: 1 box of Remington Core-Lok 170 grain and 1 box of the Grand Slam 150 grain flat nose.

The Federal Grand Slams shot a group of 5 inside 2" at 100 yards and Remingtons about 2 1/2" - not a huge difference, but the Core-Loks sure splattered up like a hollow point when fired into railroad ties and the Grand Slams held together in a nice mushroom shape - penetrating about 3" more.

Summary:

Remingtons are fine on deer; Federal Grand Slams are designed to go through thicker bones and hard substances where penetration is a must! These Federals will definately blow out both shoulders of any deer - something I doubt the Remingtons will do.