Federal .45 ACP brass...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by flatapple, Oct 23, 2008.

1. flatapple

flatapple New Member

Can anyone give me some info on this .45 ACP brass I found at the range? It appears that the one on the right is using a small primer. Is it safe to reload?
    [​IMG]
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

That is the new "lead free primer"...NT= Non Toxic. :rolleyes:

Winchester does not recommend reloading their line (I don't find why) but people are reloading them using small primers with no problems... One problem I can think of, is that someone who didn't go through their brass properly, may try to ram a large primer in there. :eek:

Oh and welcome to TFF. :)

Crpdeth
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Never seen them with the primer removed before. Haven't bought any of the non-toxic myself because my range shooting is done outdoors.
    Dang, that's a big flash hole. Looks about 25% larger than a standard flash hole...I'd verify that with a drill gauge. It is possible that that large flash hole could affect ignition/velocity/pressure when used with standard primers. Personally, I'd be leery of reloading them until I had more info on the cases and/or primers.

My guess would be that their non-toxic primer burns cooler than a regular primer and the larger flash hole is for better ignition. Just a guess though.
  4. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Any of the powder companies would give you feedback on the recommended loads if you call them.

I agree with both replies and would add my one other thought. I would begin at the low end of the spectrum for the 454 depending on the powder you are using and then do some chrono tests to see how they perform.
    I also wonder about ignition and the results of that gaping flash hole.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Also, if you qwould be so kind, let us know what you find out.

I see this stuff at my range all the time but have not picked any of it up to load for myself. I have plenty of the standard brass to last me for several years at my current use rate. But this is interesting.

UF
  5. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Interesting ! Small primer, but larger flash hole.
  6. tom vito

tom vito New Member

Does anyone know if this primer difference applies to othe calibers also? Say maybe 9mm. I was sorting my 9mm brass the other day, and seen several with the "NT" on them, but had no idea what it meant.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I would guess so...I'm sure we'll start seeing more and more non-toxic stuff especially if you frequent indoor ranges.
    Punch out a primer or two to see if those cases have over-size flash holes too.
  8. bobkk

bobkk Member

Win made some 45 APC with a large flash hole and used large primers.
    Talked to man at the range. He loaded some and said they shot good.
    I have some with big flash holes but never loaded any. Win also made
    the small primer cases with NT stamped on the case.
  9. tom vito

tom vito New Member

I will just as soon as I get those sorted out of the brand specific brass now.:(
  10. thebear2008

thebear2008 New Member

If you peoples have any of the small primer brass (45acp) for sale, I'll buy them:)
  11. thebear2008

thebear2008 New Member

Do you want to sell your small primer brass (45acp)??, I need alot, thanks from thebear:D