Federal agents hunt for guns, one house at a time

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by islenos, Jul 1, 2009.

1. islenos

islenos New Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6505651.html

2. 45nut

45nut Active Member

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=63191

Trouble 45-70 beat you to it. :( But, yeah this is how confiscation starts. Give the liberals a crisis and they will beat the hell out of us with it. Maybe they will move north up to the burbs and I can donate to the cause. :D :mad: :mad:
  3. islenos

islenos New Member

yea, that's the problem with Headlines, you scan though a list and don't see a match.....oh well.

But this seems like a practice run to me....
  4. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    If a gun is actually used in a crime, traced back to a purchaser and LEO's knock on the door to ask a few questions, all well and good. I've had the police at my door to ask about a rifle I once bought from a legitamate gun shop but still turned out to be stolen; ok, fine, it was all straightened out and no problem. However, investigating "suspicious" firearms purchases by law abiding citizens is a violation of civil liberties. I'm sure the ACLU will file suit to stop this. Oh, wait...
  5. 45nut

45nut Active Member

You're correct Sir. That's exactly what it is. :mad:
  6. islenos

islenos New Member

To me the most bothersome part is this

7. 45nut

45nut Active Member

islenos,

They've always had that available. To me this current situation gives them too much advantage. The gun owner needs to know their rights and must be willing to politely remind them of their 4th Amendment rights.

I hope this doesn't turn into a Nawlins gun confiscation fiasco.
  8. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Unfortunately, the firearms disposition "bound book" (or equivalent electronic file) in the physical possession of a licensed FFL holder is effectively the property of the government. BATFE agents can stop by and snoop through the bound book anytime that they want to and there are also regularly scheduled bound book (rule & regulation) compliance audits. Most of the agents did not do that 'just on whim type of browsing' due to the fact that it does not take a lot of that type of activity before the FFL holder gets PO'd. Once a FFL holder closes up the business, the bound book or printout from the database goes to a physical BATFE archive somewhere. The BATFE folks have to dig into the archived records out from time to time to do firearms traces.
  9. islenos

islenos New Member

I guess what I should have said is:

Once an investigation is opened up and the ATF records the disposition of firearms for any given individual, then that information doesn't go away. The local ATF office will have that individual on their radar till the end of time.

If the ATF deem that an entire region should fall into their investigation then they would start a file on every man, woman and child.
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Bingo! I have ALWAYS said that the 4473 is nothing but a thinly veiled form of backdoor gun registration:mad::mad::mad::mad:
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

When I closed shop i had to turn in all 4473's with a copy of my bound book. The original book i still have, I purchased it, it is property of the dealer. The 4473's on the other hand are not. The dealer does not need the 4473 unless there is a law suit. It is stored at the dealers store simply because i think ATF doesn't want to store all that paper. Eventually all 4473's will end up at ATF. So what? If you don't have nothing to hide it's not a problem. If they use it to confiscate a legal man's gun, then it's a problem. For every gun out there someone, somewhere, somehow knows you bought it.

Maybe things have changed and now if you terminate a business you must turn in your bound book, but i sure would keep a copy of it. In fact I think every gun owner should do the same with their personal guns. List them coming in to your possession on said day and from whom, if you ever sell it list that too. It could save you a headach one day.

Back to the thread: I sure do hope this curbs all the crime in Mexico.:confused::eek::rolleyes::mad:
  12. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

This is them (our disassociated government) making a trial run. How far can they go, how far can they push. Also, this is them making a case for not being able to do their jobs if guns aren't registered.

Lie about the guns in Mexico, lie about the illegals over the boarder, lie about stemming the flow over the border.

Lie often enough and it takes on a life of it's own. I watched a "B" movie the other night that was eerily familiar. The Long Kiss Goodnight. Create a crisis as a fund raiser for all the acronyms.

Or use it as a way to justify taking our guns. Either way, the sheeple will always vote on the side of safety and McDonald's. Comfort before Liberty.
  13. WillBrayJr

WillBrayJr New Member

This proves my point that LE put their nose where it doesn't belong.
  14. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

When the story first broke,months ago, all the guns in Mexican crimes came from the US. Then it was reported 28% of the guns came from the US with the rest coming from China & other countries. Now all 2800 guns they got last year, came from the US? :confused:

Once again, the media is sipping Kool-Aid. :( & the Govt. is pouring.