Federal American Eagle 45 ACP Brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by USMCSpeedy, Oct 8, 2011.

1. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Well I'm one step closer to starting to reload. I found some primers today.:D But being as I'm still short powder I continued cleaning a prepping brass. I have about 100 rounds of Federal American Eagle 45 ACP brass that takes the small primer. Is there anything special I should know about reloading this brass? Once I sized and deprimed it I took a look at the primer pockets. It looks like the primers might have been put in with a military style crimp. The primer also looked slightly smaller than some small primers that came out of some other brass I cleaned up.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It will accept small pistol primers just fine. i have used that stuff before. Soem of it is indeed crimped in. Just take your case mouth chamfer tool and run the point into the primer pocket and cut the crimp off. Itll only contact the edges so no worried of wallering out the pocket.

Welcome to the madness of reloading speedy. If you wadnt half the country away id spot ya a pound or 2 of powder..

Attached Files:

3. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Check with your LEO pals, they may have a source for used .45 brass. I think you will find the small primer brass to be a PITA, I keep it separate, and only have about 100 rounds of the stuff. One of my pals says he can reload the aluminum cases. I haven't tried that, the 3 or 4 thousand rounds of large primer brass that I have loaded and empty are sufficient for now. If the steel case stuff takes hold, brass may be a lot more desirable and scarce.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have reloaded the aluminum cases, but 1 out of every 3 splits during casemouth flaring. So i toss it, Like you I have thousands of normal brass to use.. ;)
  5. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Thanks for the info guys. Thats all the 45 brass I have to work with right now so I'm just trying to get by with it. JLA, I hope to one day have a powder selection like yours.
  6. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I believe you will find a favorite powder and stick with that for most of your reloading. I do have special powders for my .357 loads, but I NEVER try to load my .45's with H 110 or the equivalent Win 296, takes too much, and those are slow burning powders. I think you will find Bullseye, Titegroup, Win 231 or even Unique will be about all you need. I haven't loaded any Power Pistol, but those 4 are my old faithful's and I keep at least two on hand all the time. Powder is the least expensive part of your re-loading expense.

Use this little calculator, it takes a lot of mystery out of why you reload.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Look at the powders that are available, and choose the one you think will give you what you need. I went with the AA line because I only reload hand gun ammo. AA gives me the widest range on the different calibers, with the least amount of powder. Is it the best you can get? Well that depends on what you are trying to create! I don't shoot compitition, just plink, and do some target shooting around the house here. I do hunt with the .44 Mag, both pistol, and rifle. All my SD ammo is store bought.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If you have as much .45 brass as I do, the small primer ones are a pain in the butt. Doing single stage press, they are not too bad. When using progressive and you are chugging along and you hit one that you've missed when sorting - it just puts a stop to everything when the large primer tries to go into that small pocket!!!! I throw all the small primer ones in the trash brass bin.