Federal ammo .40

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Compact_Shooter, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Compact_Shooter

Compact_Shooter New Member

Does Federal ammunition have problems with their casings sometimes? I have several rounds that have been loaded in my M&P 40c and there are dents in the casings, just below the actual bullet. Happens with both magazines, wondering if it's more likely a brass problem or a problem with the mags.
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

if you suspect anything might be wrong with the ammo stop using it. switch to another brand.

I have had 2 guns blow up on me with factory ammo. Not going to mention names.

try a different brand and see.

some pics would be nice
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Compact Shooter, are you talking about dents in unfired rounds or fired brass? In either case, if you could manage a photo or two, it would help people help you. Thanks!
  4. Compact_Shooter

This is unfired ammo. Attached a pic to help with the description. It's consistent on all rounds that have sat in the mag. I've heard things about "softer" brass, also that the magazine could be pinched tighter than it should be. Thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

• ammo.jpg
      ammo.jpg
      File size:
      93.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Compact Shooter, thanks for putting up the picture. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to make of that. It looks much heavier than normal crimping, but my experience with 40 S&W is very limited. But with the photo, someone should be able to tell you what's what.
  6. cycloneman

i have never seen that

dont shoot it!

see what some others say.
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Looks like a "botched" job of loading!!! But to be from the factory that way, never seen anything like that before?
  8. Compact_Shooter

OK, thanks all for the input. I think I'll try returning the ammo first then send the mags back to S&W if I still have problems.
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...the way those wacked out "crimps" look, your mags with other ammo might be just fine!
  10. cycloneman

that cant be a problem with the mags

OK

we need to know exactly what has happened here.

1. when you opened the box of ammo did it look like that?

2. when you load the ammo in the clip and then take the ammo out is that how it comes out? (i cant see what would do that)

3. are you loading the clip and then loading the ammo in the chamber and then the ammo looks like this? (i cant see this either but who knows)

What is happening there takes a heck of alot of force and i just dont see the gun being able to do that if you just racking the slide.

4. ok thought of another one. Is this happening after you shoot a round? Is this the next bullet loaded in the pipe from the recoil of the previous round?
  11. ignats

ignats Member

Something is not right here. Did the cartridges come that way from Federal, brand new in the box or are they reloads. My first impression is that what we are seeing is rather exaggerated channellure to prevent the bullet from being pushed back into the case. If they are reloads then I suspect the person reloading them either did this on purpose or used the wrong die somewhere in the process. There's no way the magazine did that. For one thing, the indentations a just too uniform. If the ammo is new from the factory, then I'd say they did that on purpose to prevent bullet set back. I'd like to see the box it came in.

Lastly, I've used and reloaded many Federal and other cartridges for over a 30 plus years. I've found Federals in .45 ACP to be a bit stouter than most others. You can actually feel the resistance when you size them. They always have been quality brass IMO. But, maybe things have changed.

One suggestion, remove the barrel from the pistol and drop a new from the box cartridge into the chamber, see if it fully seats by that I mean, make sure the head of the cartridge (the part with the writing stamped into it) lines up with the end of the chamber. Just a thought but perhaps the chamber is too short or the brass is too long. However, if this were the case, the slide would most likely not come into full battery. Are indentations the same on all of them? That would tell me they were made that way on purpose as previously stated.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

No way the gun is causing this. If it is, please show us because this would have to be a first ever. No magazine could do this either. This has to be caused by a loading die or something. I sure wish you would come back and answer some questions on whether this ammo looks this way out of the box or not. It just doesnt make sense.
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Something is very strange here. Clearly the magazine didn't cause this. Why wouldn't someone question this when they came out of the box that way? There's no way you wouldn't see that unless you opened the box and loaded the mags in total darkness.
  14. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Those are reloads of Federal casings. There's no way that came out of the factory.
  15. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm with "ignats" on this one. They are just too uniform for me to think this is an improper adjustment or too long a case or a reloading mistake. I have crumpled cases for just about every reason going, all my fault, and none ever looked this nice and uniform. Please tell us if they once looked normal before you loaded them in your magazine and or pistol or if they came out of the box this way. Did you ever see them looking "normal" before you saw them looking like this?