Federal Brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Munch, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Munch

Munch Member

I"m new to reloading, and noticed something yesterday. I bought a bag of mixed headstamp brass from the local gun show. Out of 100 cases I had 9 Federal cases and 4 of them got a bulge when I ran the expanding die. I also had 1 S&B case and 1 A-merc case do the same. Did I do something wrong by not checking length before expanding? The die felt tight going into all of these cases, like it was set to deep. On the previous case it was fine, everything is tight, and the following case would act normally. I expect to lose some brass to the gods, but the Fed cases seem to be a problem. Any have this happen or am I just doing something wrong?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

First - go through your brass and find anything that says A-MERC, crush it so some other poor slob don't get it, and toss it. You'll feel better. That is, without a doubt, the worst brass on the planet.

Now - what caliber?

I've noticed, with FC 32ACP, when you bell it you get a bulge. I've seen the same thing with Speer nickel (but not brass) 32s. The best I can come up with, with the federal, is the inside of the case has a little ledge in there, for the bullet to sit on. This causes the belling die to bulge the case. When I load 32s, now, if it's a nickel case I just toss it in the scrap bucket. If it bulges, I look at the head as I toss it, and 99% of the time it says FC.

I have not had problems with other Federal cases. Just 32.
  3. Munch

Munch Member

This was with .380. I have taken your suggestion and tossed the A-MERC's. Thanks for the advice. There were 6 or so of a G.F.L. brand case. These things feel great. Who makes these, I want more!!
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Fiochhi, of Italy.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I will second the a- merc brass as being the worst thing you could get. If I had some I would load it up and give it to my ex wife to shoot.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

LOL! I like how u think!
  7. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Ok. what is wrong with A-MERC? I noticed some of my brass that had that stamp. Ok to shoot?
  8. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

We had some of that junk in .45 acp at one time. Every one had an enlarged primer pocket. The primer would fall out after it was loaded. Really poor quality control.