Federal packaging

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by S&W-4me, Jun 16, 2009.

1. S&W-4me

S&W-4me New Member

I was able to pick up a box of 1000 Federal primers yesterday. The dealer had just got them in. I wanted CCI or Remington, but no one on line or locally had any. The cupboard it bare!!! There's none to be had anywhere. Upon checking on line, the adds all show Federal having a blue box. The ones I have are in red boxes. They are marked " FEDERAL No. 205 Small Rifle". Should I be concerned about this? It they are mil spec would they be marked so. tanx
    regards
    Ed
  2. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

i would not worry about box color. I would probably back off your load 2-3% and work back up any time you do change anything, including primers. the box should be specific about what is in it, so load a few, watch for exesive pressure signs as always, and shoot-em up.
  3. S&W-4me

S&W-4me New Member

Thanks Southern Boy. I wasn't sure, I guess better safe than sorry. I will lower my loads as you suggested. I have heard that before about Federal primers. Is it because they are hotter than other brands? tanx
    regards
    Ed
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No, Federal is not especially "hotter" than other primers. Federal is just different. Anytime you change anything in a load you should back off and work up. Different primers, different brass thicknesses and internal capacities, different bullets with different ogives giving different seating depths. These all will affect pressure to a greater or lesser degree.

This advice is generally given, but I don't think it always needs to be followed. If you are shooting near maximum loads - yes, because increased pressures could push you over max. Shooting for accuracy - again, yes, because change can throw your accuracy away. But if you are not doing one or the other of these, I don't see the sense in it. I was loading 38 special. Changed from CCI to WW because my 642 would not reliably pop the CCI. My load was four grains of powder. Max was five. If I was loading max, safety says reduce it 10% and work back up. Reducing 5 by 10% would bring it down to 4.5. I'm loading 4.0. I saw no sense in reducing and working back up. I noticed, however, when I had loads with CCI and loads with WW in the same gun that there was a difference. The ones loaded with WW had more recoil.

As to your box question, it just means that your primers are older. I've got some Federal I bought 6 or 7 years ago. They are in a red box. That's not a worry. I've still got some CCI that are so old they are in a box about 1 1/2" square, standing on their sides in slots that hold ten, instead of being in individual holes in a box 3" square. They still work.
  5. S&W-4me

S&W-4me New Member

Thanks for the infomation Alpo. I'll start with the minimum load and see what results I get. I agree with you, if I start low there should be no need to reduce the load. tanx
    regards
    Ed