Federal primer went off

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gdmoody, Jun 19, 2012.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I just had something happen that I have never had happen before. A primer went off while I was using a kinetic bullet puller.

My next door neighbor called me and asked me to come over because he was having problems seating some primers in his 9mm cases. When I got there I looked at the problem cases. He had a bunch of WCC 09 brass with crimped in primers that he had de-primed. He then had shoved some Federal primers into the primer pocket using a Lee Ram Prime. He did that without swaging the military crimp out of the primer pocket.

I found two cases that had a bullet pushed way deep into the brass and had a screwed up (deformed) primer in them. I took his kinetic bullet puller to pull the bullet. I whacked it a couple of times without the bullet moving. The third time I whacked it pretty hard and "bang" the primer went off and shot the primer out of the primer pocket. Boy, I was sure happy that he did not put any powder in that case. The bullet still did not budge. It scared the crap of my neighbor and didn't do a whole lot for me either. The second one was taken out and thrown into the woods behind my house, since I was not about to do that again.

I have been reloading for over 35 years and this is the first primer that I ever saw go off by accident, and it was while pulling a bullet in a kinetic puller.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Thanks for the post and description.

What is described is a new one for me. As the folk saying goes: "Just when you think that you have about seen it all, you discover something totally unexpected."
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sounds like it was pre crushed or under existing pressure , do that and they will go off easier than usual ( learned this when making my own mix's )
  4. X Ring

X Ring Member

And Federal primers are the most Sensitive bar none.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It is a pure wonder that every one he put in didn't go off. They were really jammed into the primer pocket and every one deformed (only on the WCC 09 brass)!! I told him about the Federal primers being soft and he said that he had 2000 of them to use up. Then I let him borrow my RCBS swaging die, showed him how to use it, and let him have at it. I also let him borrow my RCBS bullet puller die and collet so he could pull the bullets on the ones that the primers were crushed on.