Feed Problems with a Jennings .22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by zachp, Apr 10, 2012.

1. locknloadnow

locknloadnow New Member

yeh I take the Haskell out shooting with my kid, he calls it "the brick" because it's as heavy as a brick
  2. locknloadnow

locknloadnow New Member

if you cut a few coils off the main slide return spring, to lower the pressure, it will eject with even the lowest power 22 LR or shotshell loads.

I think they put the strongest spring in to handle the most high powered loads, but that means the tension is too high for std. loads

high end semiauto firearms have adjustments for different level of power loads
  3. locknloadnow

locknloadnow New Member

if you sent it out, it would have to go to an FFL to be repaired, because legally you cannot ship a handgun to another resident to fix. And in some states, it has to be shipped from an FFL, to an FFL.

I would go to Numrich, and just buy the part. They have most of the parts. I just bought a slide, extractor w/spring, and mainspring from them.
  4. locknloadnow

locknloadnow New Member

the gun shop had to do something to the gun, to get blamed, because by law FFL's have immunity from anything that happens from use of a firearm after they sell it. If they changed the gun in any way, or added a feature, aftermarket clip, sights, or did a trigger job, etc. then they may be liable. Or if they could prove they had knowledge of the defect and still sold the gun, maybe.

if it was a J22, probably a slam fire, or chain fire, or carrying it with safety off and it fired and shot the guy carrying it.

I have had $1500 high end Sako rifles, $200 Mossberg shotguns, and $50 Jennings J22 pistols all slam fire on me, for various reasons- worn hammer springs, defective sears, worn bolt faces, etc. Fortunately I had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times, and the shots went harmlessly downrange or into the ground. Any firearm can go off accidentally, they are not foolproof.

The main 16 inch guns of the USN battleship Iowa misfired and killed everyone in the turret, that was after they modernized the entire ship for millions of dollars. It had a crew of over 1000 highly trained sailors on it. Didn't matter...

It happens. Firearms can be inherently unpredictable a tiny percentage of the time, due to various mechanical defects as the gun gets older and parts wear. Keep the muzzle pointed down and away, in a safe direction, and when it happens to go off accidentally, no one gets hurt.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

half the people I know.. friends and whatnot, that have shot my haskel.. call it a brick.

small world.. :)

I usually take it as a spare gun at the range if one of out 'pack' didn't bring something to shoot.

I just let them 'feed' it and they can shoot it all they want.

it doesn't even have any finish worn off and the plastic grips are fine.

it will digest any 45acp ammo.. it's a heck of a cheap gun.. :)
    and as I like to say about my COP 357 4 shot.. when the ammo runs out.. it's either a hand weapon or you can throw it at the badguy and seriously hurt him if you get a face shot.. :)
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

So it is basically an early version of a hi point?
  7. locknloadnow

locknloadnow New Member

yeh a Haskell can be used as a club practically....or a bludgeon

I like mine. Cheap stuff that works well means someone did more with less. But I may sell it someday soon to use the money towards a nice 1911.
  8. locknloadnow

locknloadnow New Member

by what I can glean, yes. Supposedly the Haskell is in one of the old Terminator movies being worn by the adult John Connor in one of the film sequences.

a reliable 7 shot, 45 auto for $160, how can one go wrong ?

there's 2 ways to make something stronger, use better material, or make it bigger. With the Haskell, they made it bigger.

the mainspring is so strong it's difficult to pull back and chamber the first round, you really have to grab it tightly, but with all that spring pressure it'll chamber anything. And they feed-fire-eject remarkably well. What's even more amazing to me is, how accurate it is.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/91022207...ls/Hi_Point_Haskell_m_JS_45_45_ACP_pistol.htm

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  9. soundguy

yep.. that's it.

I actually like the all metal mag better than the hi point mag with the clunky plastic bit at the bottom.
  10. locknloadnow

locknloadnow New Member

I have 2 original Haskell steel mags. I was thinking about having a full set of adjustable sights put on mine.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  11. soundguy

i have 2 oem stl mags as well. Heck.. the ramp sights on mine are fine for 25yds. I don't suspect I'll do much more with it vs 25yds.. :)
  12. lal5014

lal5014 New Member

Feed problems with Jennings j-22. Check to see if the firing pin has mated the opening to the chamber. If so the shell will fit very tight. I used a rat tail file to debur mine and it seems to be working fine now.