Feeding the 'poor' in America

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Bobitis, May 24, 2012.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

2. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

"If a man will not work, he shall not eat." 2 Thess 3:10
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

+1

I believe it is our duty to help those truly in need. Help them get on their feet so they can help themselves, then maybe they can help someone else. BUT, it's NOT our duty to keep them up for life.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I would be in favor of an instituted maximum lifetime benefit. Set maximum for all government benefits (welfare, unemployment, "earned income" tax credit, etc.). For people under 50 years old at the implementation of the limit, I'd throw Social Security and Medicare into that bunch as well. And that limit would be low.

I'm OK with giving people a hand when they need it. But I'm also good with giving people a push to take care of themselves.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I believe we need Social Security and Medicare. These were created so the old don't have to live in poverty.

I also think we should help people that are down and out. Maybe retraining of whatever it takes to get them back to work. Not for life. The family across the street lived there for 25 years on welfare. I have no idea how they got away with it but they never worked in the 25 years. These are the people that get everyone mad.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

That's also why 401ks, IRAs, Roth IRAs, etc. were created. I trust my retirement planning much more than I trust Social inSecurity. At 65 years old, I expect to be a multimillionaire even if I never get a raise ever again. Shoot, if the market does worse than it has historically and I never save anything more, I'll still retire with almost half a million dollars.

Don't want to live in poverty? Be responsible for yourself. Just my point of view.
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ya, I agree Sam.

If a man is down, help him. However, if he is not willing to work, don't feed him. It's like the late Jay Vernon McGhee said, "If a man gets hungry enough, he'll work." The problem is they expect it. They remind me of a bird's nest with a bunch of newborns in it. There they are sitting all warm with their mouth's wide open and their eyes closed waiting for omething to be dropped in. The difference is, mama bird is smart and weens them. However, our society takes people from being mouth fed to bottle fed.

I say if they don't want to work, quit feeding them and sooner or later they will work.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member