FEG in .45 ACP

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Lando, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Lando

Lando New Member

Gentlemen,

In reading the history of John Browning, it looks like the Browning Hi-Power is an improvement (no grip safety, better ergonomics) on the 1911 (I'm not trying to start anything here because I don't own either one). But the Browning isn't made in .45 ACP, so maybe it isn't that much of an improvement.

At any rate, I've also read that a firearms company in Hungary (FEG?) made unauthorized copies of the Browning/FN design including one in .45 ACP. They are occasionally offered at a modest price.

Do any of you have any first-hand experience or stories about this gun? I'm also curious why, if anyone knows, the Hi-Power design hasn't been offered in .45 ACP.

Thank you. As I say, I'm not trying to start anything, unless it would be to get a US-made Hi-Power in .45 ACP.

best wishes,

Lando
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

FEG has made copies of the Browning Hi-Power.

The models I'm finding are Model R-9 ( 9mm) , Model FP9 ( 9mm) ,
    Model P9R which has a 15 round mag. It couldn't be a .45 cal. And Model P9RK with a shorter barrel.

Which FEG pistol are you referring to?

Browning Hi-Power is available in .40 cal. Not a bad round for personal protection.

I have owned a few Hi-Power's and always liked them but an improvement on a 1911 ? I don't think so . JMHO
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

We have both, a Browning 9mm Hi-Power Practical and a SA 1911 Mil-Spec. Both are excellent guns in their own right. SoMo really enjoys shooting the Browning and we are going out soon to put lots of stuff through the Springfield. The Browning has been my carry gun for years with the S&W 60 on the ankle as a back-up. I probably will now carry the 1911 as my primary weapon.

The grip on each is the same size and she can hold the Browning well so we hope she will enjoy the 1911, too.
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Both designed by the same person, but unalike.

LTS
  5. 1911nut

1911nut New Member

Feg vs Browing Hi-Power

The first handgun I ever bought was a Browing Hi-Power Practical. I loved the gun but sold it before a move. Later I bought an FEG because it was cheap. I hated the trigger pull with a passion and got rid of it. I won't give $50 for another one. One last note 1911's rule!
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  6. Lando

Lando New Member

Thank you, gentlemen. The model I'm referring to is the GKK45. Barrel length is stated to be 4".

The reason I'm looking into this is that the distance between the face of the trigger and the grip backstrap may be closer on the later Browning (Hi-Power and clones) than on the 1911 (I admit I haven't measured this). The grip on the Hi-Power seems a little more natural to me than that of the 1911.

My current .45 is a full-size EAA Witness, which shoots very well for me, but the grip distance is still a bit long. Thinning the grips may reduce the grip distance. My reason for doing this is to get my trigger finger at a right angle to the face of the trigger, so that there is no subtle push to the left from the trigger finger.

best wishes,

Lando
  7. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

lando ,i don't believe i welcomed you so welcome

the great thing about 1911's are they are like a nice harley ,you can make it what you want ,you can buy a thinner grip ,also you can get a shorter trigger

i have long triggers on mine or i could give you a exact length ,but the ones i have seen were much shorter ,about half the exposed area of the long trigger
  8. ACC

ACC New Member

I had a HI power when I was in the military,the only pistol at the time that would hold 15 rounds, we used to dump our "issue" air weights and find something else. I liked it so much,that i bought one as soon as i got out. picked up one in 40 not to long agoand love that one too!Never seen one in 45 though,but wouldn't mind owning one
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

If the trigger distance is too great on the current crop of M1911 types, it can easily be swapped out for a WWII GI M1911A1 type trigger which is much shorter.

Also, the arched mainspring housing can be swapped for a flat one, which thins the grip considerably.
  10. plunker

plunker New Member

The distance is also affected by the width of the grips. I had a Beretta 92 and went to the compact size which is about 1\8" narrow than the 92. I had to adjust by grip because of the distance change in the guns. You might try slimmer or thicker grips to see the difference.

You can remove your grips to get an idea of a narrow grip or tape your grips to get a thicker feel then custom order grips.

plunker