FEG P9R in 9mm "Browning High-Power Clone"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by AlbertaPhil, Mar 5, 2009.

1. AlbertaPhil

AlbertaPhil New Member

I have a FEG P9R s/n R24xxx. Can't find any s/n to age info anywhere and was wondering if anyone can figure the date of manufacture.
    This was my first centrefire - purchased used and it turned out to be a great range shooter using 9mm 124 FMJ reloads with Montana Gold bullets.
    Thank you
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

AlbertaPhil,

I am not sure who other than the manufacture or the importer of these handguns would know. The importer is the party who is state side, so I would start with them. They might be able to help you. I cannot tell you the importer is, maybe some one here can. Hope this helps, Kirk
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. AlbertaPhil

AlbertaPhil New Member

Thanks Kirk,
    I will do some research on the importer
    Phil
  4. punchie

punchie Member

The importer is KBI in Harrisburg, PA.
  5. AlbertaPhil

AlbertaPhil New Member

Thanks for the help Punchie
    Phil
  6. PetahW

PetahW New Member

AFAIK, FEG P9R production started in 1985.
  7. Varmint_Cong

Varmint_Cong New Member

Hey Phil, ey,

I own one of these Hungarian FEG P9Rs, it was the first handgun i ever bought. It is not a completely bad pistol for the money, however, if i could return it now and buy something else more expensive i would. I paid $250 for it brand new in 1997. I do not have a very high opinion of this gun because i have put maybe 200 rounds through it and it has jammed several times and broke the slide spring guide (the rod part that the long spring wraps around) and had to go back to the factory for a new one! (They will not just sell you a new part!) This part ought to be solid steel lathe turned, it isn't. It is a hollow tube press fit onto the end of the casting (the slide stop runs through the end with the hole). I would strip it, take a photo and show you the weak spot but a) i'm too lazy and b) theres not much point. If you own one of these guns, strip it and hold the part in your hand if you dont believe me - feel how light it is?

For this reason and all the jams i had, my advice is do not waste your money on buying this gun. Save up and get a ruger or anything else. (My other gun is a ruger p95 - bought it used for the same price as the P9 and no jams or broken parts!)
  8. Raptor9458

Raptor9458 New Member

WOW. I'm really quite suprised to hear this.

I've had mine for around ten years now, and have sent well over a thousand rounds downrange with it with zero mechanical failures. The only two times I had any sort of real problem were: 1.) with a bag of cheap reloads (had frequent stovepipes throughout the bag) and 2.) with a new, off-brand mag (the mag was failing to advance the next round to the top.)

Sure, I have the occasional jam, but no more than is to be expected. Performance is flawless when I use quality ammo.

As far as accuracy- The fixed sights are not zeroed on the point of impact, and as a result, even expert shooters I've let borrow it couldn't hit the target. But, being familiar with it, and knowing my sights are a little high and a hair to the right, I can score between 95% and 100% with it.
  9. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

I would expect parts for these to be the same as a Browning Hi-Power, or at least a Charles Daly HP, which was built of the same FEG parts.

And BTW, you can buy these new from Centerfiresystems for about the same money as 10 years ago.
    that's a pretty good deal IMO, even if you have to tinker with it.
  10. kdrob8198@cox.net

kdrob8198@cox.net New Member

hello does any one know where parts can be had for my p9r feg army pistol i need extractor and ejector parts
    thanks kim
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

AFAIK, KBI is no longer in business and I don't think there is a current U.S. importer for FEG or even if they are still made. Try www.gunpartscorp.com for parts under the name Kassnar.

Jim