1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

FEG PA-63 pistol from Surplus market

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by LDBennett, Jun 16, 2006.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Picked up a FEG PA-63 recently. It is an aluminum framed two tone (anodised bright aluminum frame and blued slide) clone of the Walthers PPK. The differences are only in the details (like the design of the firing pin safety) and it is pretty much a copy. The first range session was tough as the gun kept biting my hand with each shot, the single action trigger pull was designed for a weight lifter, and the double action pull was un-doable by a mere mortal. But it seemed accurate and fed ammo perfectly.

My last trip to the range was done after a few changes to the gun and the results were great. The gun recoils less (still, due to the lightness of the gun compared to an all steel gun, it moves around in the hand), and both the single and double action trigger pulls are acceptable. The single action is about 4 1/2 lbs while you can actulally shoot the gun double action now. The gun still feeds and function perfectly. It is now fun to shoot.

What did I do? I replaced the original main recoil spring with the Wolf heavier replacement. I replaced the hammer spring with the 9# spring. Both are available from Makarov.com. I did try my own home made hammer spring but the hits were too light for consistent reliability. For that reason, as guns vary, I bought both the 9# and 11# hammer springs but the 9#'er worked just fine. I stoned the sear and hammer surfaces with a stone for a couple of passes to get the burrs off them. A big change to the trigger pull can be made by reducing the pre-load on the firing pin saftey spring located in the frame just above the trigger. It returns the pin to full extension but is too long and effects the trigger pull badly. Smashing it together with pliers until it has just enough preload to get full extension of the pin is the answer. Fail to do this and I think the trigger pull will not reach the sub 5# level.

For the low price of this "new" surplus gun and with a little work and some springs you end up with a PPK copy made of aluminum and steel that shoots great and looks great. It's hard to go wrong on the Surplus market with jewels like the FEG PA-63 available. But it often is hard to determine the jewels from coal without a little help from others who took the leap and bought with only the hope that all would be OK.

LDBennett
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Good luck, should a got a Mak. The 63 is know to shuck it`s decocker under real use. No one knows why, but it does it just the same AND you could have gotten an all steel Makarov in excellent condition for less. And talk about easy to break down for cleaning.......the Mak rules. Slide=spring=frame=magazine, to darn simple.

Hope your`s stays together.

LTS
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My son-in-law has a Makarov and I have shot it. It recoils less (more mass) but certainly is not as nice finish wise as the FEG. He and I both have FEG PA-63's so will see if there really is a problem. When I had it totally apart I saw nothing in the design that seemed the least bit shaky.

When parts fly off a gun I would suspect that the gun is taking a beating from excessive recoil forces being transmitted to the frame. Of course there has to be enough recoil for the gun to operate (not enough and the slide does not travel all the way to the rear and does not pick up the next round.....FailureToFeed). Interestingly, I added a heavier spring to absorb the felt recoil and the gun still feeds flawlessly. That says they didn't install a heavy enough one from the factory. Perhaps the heavier recoil spring will minimise the beating the frame has to take and reduce the chances of the decocker flying off the gun. Time wil tell!

LDBennett
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They Feg are definately easy to find right know and cheap(That's a great combonation)
  5. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    I have a PA-63 in .380 acp that I bought about 10 years ago. Still works great!
  6. sarzak

sarzak New Member

that is awesome info. i have one of those in my garage that i bought because it was cheap( like that stack of surplus rifles). i havent even looked at it since(like that stack of surplus rifles). now i know what to do if i have any problems(okay, when). thanks!
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I'll send you my mailing address:)
  8. navyvet

navyvet New Member

besides the hard DA pull i love this gun, accurate, does not jam and hard hittig did i say i love them? :p
  9. questor

questor Member

Thanks for the info on the spring. Mine has been sitting around since the late 80's, due to the recoil. Today, I shot 200 rounds and of course it kicked like a mule. Accurate and never jammed once.

Will certainly check out the recoil spring. As for your other mod, I am all thumbs..

Thanks for all the info....
  10. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I've got an FEG in .32ACP, doesn't sound like it's quite the same gun. Light recoil, acceptable double action trigger, nice single action.
    My biggest problem so far has been failure to reliably feed flat-nosed Winchester FMJ's.
  11. Freightman

Freightman New Member

Trigger pull is an easy fix, just take the main spring out and cut off two coils, if you screw it up to light strikes a Walther main spring fits. I have had several and did all that way never had to light strikes.
  12. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I once had an AP-9, which was used by the South African police and was exactly the same thing as the PA-63, only the frame was blued and not the silvery color. Nice gun, but I decided to sell it for the Sig P6.
  13. questor

questor Member

Did you use the 13 or 15lb recoil spring?

Wolff Conventional Recoil Spring FEG PA-63 15 lb Extra Power

Wolff Conventional Recoil Spring FEG PA-63 13 lb Extra Power