FEG PA-63

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Pro-Gun"Liberal", Feb 1, 2011.

1. brent6363

brent6363 New Member

I read that the early PA-63 was an aluminum frame, then FEG switched over to aluminum/titanium alloy. Any thoughts on the truth of this, and the time of the switch to a stronger frame ?
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

One of my inlaw's has one of those.He says it kicks like a mule.But it's a nice looking gun.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

We sold over 140 PA-63's at the shop years ago. If the frames were upgraded, we never saw one.

The ammo we supplied for them was Silverbear 94 gr. We ordered 20 boxes of 110 gr as I recall. The PA-63 worked well with the 94 gr but had problems with the 110. Maybe a heavier recoil spring would have helped.

I shot a few of them but never bought one. The trigger was awful on all of them.

They do shoot dirty with Silver Bear ammo but the PA-63 isn't intended as a range pistol.
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

The only hollow point I have used in my CZ82 is the silver bear 94 grain. I have an expanded projectile around here somewhere i dug out of a critter. From shooting more than a few more with it the HP always did more damage than ball. When I do carry it, it is loaded with ball because HP penetration was kinda lacking.
  5. JohnnyBfromPeoria

JohnnyBfromPeoria New Member

Hi everybody, first post. I bought my PA-63 back in Dec. 2007 and I dug up the receipt the other night while going through some bags. Can't believe I only paid $99.95 for it from J & G in Prescott, AZ. The extra mag was $14.95. I also noticed the receipt listed multiple boxes of Brown Bear JHP 94 gr ($10.50) and Wolf FMJ ($9.75), bullet weight unknown, as the receipt didn't have enough room for that info.

The gun shot both rounds flawlessly, but it seemed to prefer the FMJ, so that's what I've stuck with over the years.

I refer to this gun as the "classy" looking model of my 9x18's, as the two tone really sets it off. Nice size, too, thin like my Polish P-64, but this fits my hand better than the smaller gun and it's considerably thinner and lighter than my CZ-82.

Thanks for making this forum possible. Looking forward to reading more.

John B.
  6. SARGE7402

SARGE7402 Member

Welcome JohnnyB. You'll definitely meet some real nice and helpful folks on this site.

Cant remember when I bought my first FEG but it was after Al Pickles wrote his article about the PA 63 back in '94. All have been good shooters and included .22, .32, .380 and of course the 9x18). At one time FEG made copies of some of their pistols (the SMC) with a steel frame. Definitely easier to shoot in the heftier calibers mre of a drag on the belt line in .22.
  7. JohnnyBfromPeoria

JohnnyBfromPeoria New Member

I can see where the alloy's lower mass could create a problem in a bigger caliber, but the 9x18 seems to be a good match for this gun. I have no problems with felt recoil or with follow-up shots. I wish there were more of these available en masse via the C & R route, though I doubt they'll ever be $99 again!

Thanks for the welcome, Sarge!

John B.
  8. brent6363

brent6363 New Member

I have 6 of the FEG pistols, the two SMC's ( a 380 and .22) are definitely steel and solid. :)
    I've recently taken to carrying the 9x18 PA-63 regularly in a PPK Crossbreed holster. My old eyes don't like the sights much, but it's a fine point and shoot pistol with some real pop. I'm using the Hornady rounds for SD .