FEG PMK .380

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bigdel, Dec 11, 2010.

1. bigdel

bigdel New Member

One of the local gun shops has an FEG PMK .380 for $250. I have a PA63 9X18 that I purchased last year for about $149 so I was wondering if these are worth more or if this is over priced. They were busy so I didn't get a chance to inspect it thouroughly so I cant provide too much in terms of details, but seemed to be in decent shape. I found one for sale on BRANDX for the same price that doesn't look as clean. Also, will the PA63 mag work in this gun also? Thanks for any comments
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The parts are interchangeable between the two guns. The P-63 was imported as a Milsurp. The PMK was a commercial sale. ( all steel. )
  3. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    The mags are all the same. I have a PA-63 AP-9 in .380 and the only thing different between it and the 9mm Mak (9x18) is the bore diameter of the barrel.
  4. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Any idea if $250 is a reasonable price for this gun?
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

These are good, well made and reliable. Price is about right. As RJay said - that model should be all steel, while the PA-63 has an aluminum alloy lower frame. I've had a PA-63 for about 10 years and have a couple hundred rounds through it. The only draw backs are a rather heavy double action trigger pull, when new. This smooths out with dry firing or range time, until it is acceptable within safety limits. The other draw back - do not ever trust the decocking safety with a live round in the chamber. I tested one version of this piece at the range with live rounds and it would fire every time I dropped the hammer with the decocker - this one had extensive use. On some of these the "anvil" or hammer strut blocker was softer than the hardened hammer and eventually with enough drops - the anvil would develop a dent that would allow the hammer to strike the firing pin with enough force to fire the round. The one I have now, has never had the decocker used.
    IMG_2585.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I think it is fair, not a steal but fair for a shop. If you like the looks of it i would say go for it. They are reliable but triggers can be harsh.
  7. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Like I said, I already have a PA-63 and really like it. Does the PMK kick as hard?
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

No, The PMK, being all steel, has less perceived recoil.
  9. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Wolff makes a replacement spring set for the FEG that is supposed to take some of the sting out. I'm eventually going to get a set for mine.

[​IMG]
  10. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Purchased the PMK today. It came with two clips and a shoulder holster. I also found out that it has the upgraded springs installed. Also, the frame has been professionally parkerized, although I thought it was steel but they said it was steel. The gun is very clean and doesn't appear to have been fired much. Like I said before, I also have the PA-63 and am wondering what the difference is between the .380 and th 9X18 rounds.
  11. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

9x18 Makarov round is slightly more energetic. MV is about 100 to 150 fps faster and therefore the ME is about 10 to 20 ftlbs higher - depending on the loading. The Makarov round is also slightly larger in diameter (around .362") vs the .380 (.355"). You can also find heavier - up to around 110 gr. - bullets loaded forthe Makarov. Parkerizing is your friend, keep it oiled. Nice find, IMHO! Work on the trigger, it'll get smoother with use.
  12. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Thanks for the information, here is a couple of pictures.

Attached Files:

13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Just for giggles and grins I purchased a PMK barrel from Numrich ( 380 ) and replace my 9X18 barrel on my PA-63. I also needed a couple of parts, that's when I discovered that the parts are interchangeable between the two.