Femaru-Fegyver R.T.37M

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by belercous, Dec 31, 2009.

1. belercous

belercous Former Guest

I have a 1911 style pistol marked "Femaru-Fegyver Es Gepgyar R.T.37M." The serial number is 1857xx, and besides one proof mark on the trigger gaurd and one on the frame by the muzzle, there are no markings on the gun. I believe it was made in Hungary and it looks like a .32 (acp, I assume).

Does anyone know anything about these guns? Is it chambered for 32 acp? When was it made? It looks like its fairly well made and has a case hardened hammer. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

They were made in Hungary, by the same company that now goes by its initials "F.E.G."

They are excellent pistols and good shooters. They were made in two calibers, .32 ACP (7.65mm Browning) and .380 ACP (9mm Browning Short). The gun was adopted in 1937 by the Hungarian Army in .380, and yours has the military marking, but barrels are interchangeable so it might have been changed to .32. During the war they were made for the Germans in .32 as the .380 was not in the German military supply system. I also understand there was some commercial production prior to the war.

Hungary was an ally of Germany, so there was no sabotage as there was in occupied countries, and all the guns are of good quality, though finish deteriorated somewhat as the war went on.

Jim
  3. belercous

belercous Former Guest

Military marks? It has an "E" in a circle by the muzzle (on front of slide) and I don't know what on the trigger gaurd. The top is rounded on a rectangle. It does not have Nazi stamps, nor does it have the extended finger grip on the forestrap as I have seen on others. It looks to be made this way (notch in bottom front of forestrap, unless what I've seen is a finger extension on the mag. The mag has no markings.
    It also has a lanyard ring pinned to the frame. .380 acp ammo will not fit in the mag and the mag is not unduly wide so I assume that the pistol was original in .32 acp.
    Adopted in 1937 makes sense (R.T.37M). This was the Hungarian military, pre-war, I assume?
  4. belercous

belercous Former Guest

I've just seen another Femaru in 32 acp on Auction Arms. That one is Nazi marked. Mine is different in that it does not have a thumb safety, the slide is stamped differently, and mine does not have the finger extension on the magazine, I believe that mine has a non-original mag as it has no stampings on it.
    The only proofs on mine are an "E" in a circle on the face of the slide and a rectangle with a half circle on the on the front (not face) of the trigger gaurd. Were these the Hungarian military acceptance marks?
    It makes sense that these were produced from 1937 onwards. (R.T.37M)
    I doubt that this gun was converted from .380 as the magazine is rather thin and I don't see how one could hold a 9mm cartridge and still fit.
    Thanks.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The finger extension is part of the magazine. Yours has either been removed or the magazine is not original.

Jim