Few questions for first gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by SIG_P220, Feb 28, 2008.

1. SIG_P220

SIG_P220 New Member

Alright, I'm at work so I'll get to the point quick (hehe)

I have a few questions as to which handgun to purchase for CC and time at the range. Where I live, magazine capacity is not restricted, so here are my choices so far...

Heckler & Koch USP .45
    SIG Sauer P220 .45
    SIG Sauer P226 .357
    FNH Five SeveN 5.7 x 28 mm

Any comments on the above four would be greatly appreciated. I also have a few questions concerning them;

- The P220, now is this an 8 round mag and the optional 10 on their website is an extended magazine, and is not concealed by the grip? If so, are their any double stacked 12 round magazines like the USP's available from SIG or any other manufaturer?

- The .357 SIG in the P226, I'm sure everyone has a say in the .357 SIG vs .45 ACP war, so let's hear it !

- Now, the 5.7 x 28 mm in the FN, 20 rounds, lower recoil than a 9 mm with apparently better accuracy. First, I know it's a costly round, but thats not a problem. It seems small, how does it compare to other cartridges in perfromance?

So much for being quick, Thanks !
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

In my personnal opinion the 5.7 is not any where in the same class as the others.
    Go with the one that feels best and if you have the chance always fire a firearm before buying for many reasons the least is not felt recoil.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I would not recommend any of those guns as a first gun.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

As a first gun, it may be wise to choose something that kicks a little less than a .45 or a .357 (though I know that in lots of guns 9mm will recoil harder than .45).

Though it's not a good carry gun, a .22 is a great learning gun! :D
  5. SIG_P220

SIG_P220 New Member

I guess I should have clarified, I'v owned a few handguns and revolvers, but this is my first gun with my CCP and I recently sold my S&W M60 and 9 mm Taurus about 2 months ago, so it's my first gun in 2 months... I guess.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I am in the process of breaking in my USP 45, to replace the 220 that I have carried for years. NOTHING wrong with the 220, just higher capacity in the USP. The grip on an HK does NOT fit everyone, just as the 220 doesn't. What "fits" you best?
  7. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I think it is entirely on you, if you can't rent them then I guess we can help, but what it comes down to is what you shoot best.

Now if I was in your position, and money didn't matter as it sounds, I would go for the five-seveN hands down. Now I just think it is a sweet pistol, and a sweet concept, having never shot one I can't really give you a good opinion though.

I shot a sig and hated it, the USP I shot was alright, I want to like the USP so I am going to give it another shot ;) tomorrow I believe.
  8. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

USP hands down from that list
  9. RIPBiker13

RIPBiker13 New Member

I'm for the Sig all the way! I love my 229 in .40 and I carry it quite often.
  10. SIG_P220

SIG_P220 New Member

Thank you so far for your comments. Still 2 main questions though...

The SIG P220 magazine, 8? 10 rounds? Is their any available 12 rounds? Keep in mind, I mean 12 rounds in a magazine that does not extend the grip.

And the 5.7 mm, still wondering about lethality? Apparently a 33 grain FMJ 5.7x28 mm gives off 390 lb-ft. of energy from 25 feet. But I believe this is the armour piercing restricted version maybe? That'd be a nice number though, 20 rounds with stopping power evuilvalent to a .40 S&w (provided you use the proper ammo)
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

No.
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Actually, Dwarren said the right thing, but not as he intended it.
    The FN 5.7 mm pistol is in a class well above conventional carry rounds, in both energy dump, and penetration.
    Early FMJ ammo would defeat 'Threat level III' body armor, some pitched a fit, and a new loading was offered to the public, the original reclassified as 'Law Enforcement Only'.
    I HAVE shot the pistol, and was duly impressed; It will cut a West Texas Jackrabbit (Some will go 12 pounds, or more) into two pieces, well hit, and 'roll' him, with a hit almost anywhere.
    I have a Derringer, somewhere, in .22 Hornet, a big, clunky thing, for such a small round, that may just get rechambered into the 5.7 mm round, for the impression I got of it, in the FN pistol.
    I will likely carry a compact 1911, or a J-frame Smith, forever, but that is based on ergos, and familiarity, but if I were to start over, this is one awesome pistol, albeit at an awesome price as well.
    Standard mags, as I recall, are 20 rds.
    It's the lightest of the choices, and plastic does not rust.
    Just my $.02.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Another thing people commonly seem to forget is the five-seveN round is 5.7 x 28. It might be smaller but it is significantly longer, one review/article I read some officers were worried because it was like a rifle, in an easily concealed package. That might be an exaggeration but I know I would feel confident in its ability to do its job.