FFL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djohns6, Nov 23, 2003.

1. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Can someone tell me what is involved with getting an FFL ?
    Cost,record keeping etc. If this has been covered before , tell me where to access the info . Thanks
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Are you talking about a Type 01 FFL (dealer's license)? Or a Type 03 FFL (collector's license)?
  4. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Probably a Dealer's license , but what is the difference in the two ? I was not able to access anything from the BATF site .
  5. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

A Type 01 FFL is a dealer's license. The Feds are pretty much limiting it to only people who have a real gun shop. You have to provide a business tax ID number, and your premises have to be zoned for it. Obviously, it allows you to buy any type of firearm (except restricted stuff like Class III weapons) and sell them.

A Type 03 FFL is a collector's license. This is what I have. It is for collectors of curios & relics. It allows collectors to engage in interstate commerce. I can buy C&R firearms anywhere in the US and have them delivered to my door without having to go through a dealer or fill out paperwork or go through background checks. It, however, does not affect the way I buy modern firearms. If I wanted a brand-new firearm, I would have to do it just like everyone else. The BATF maintains a list of C&R firearms on their website.