FFL ?

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

4000 fps
    (11/22/01 7:44:26 am)
    | Edit | Del All FFL ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello you all and a happy Thanksgiving!
    Just have a small question. I do not have a FFL. Shipping handguns out of state, and not using an FFL on my end. What info does the receiving FFL HAVE to get me from?
    I have had them ask for nothing other than name and address, ask for copy of drivers licence, since I live in a Communistic state { ILLINOIS } they have asked for a copy of my FIOD card. This has happened mostly after the fact. They have already signed for the firearms and it is legally their's. Thanks

Ron

the real fredneck
    (11/22/01 8:06:35 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: FFL ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not the village expert on this issue, but I think the only thing you need is a signed copy of the receiving FFL's license and you can't send it through the mail and you can't use a UPS drop off point like Mailboxes etc. have to go to the UPS counter and since it's a handgun have to use the expensive overnight priority or whatever it's called, anyway it never arrives overnight or next day but maybe the day after that

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/22/01 8:25:42 am)
    It seems that the receiving FFL always wants different things - it may be a function of what their local BATF is telling them. As Fred says, ship UPS next day (Red Label - gads it is expensive!) from the UPS drop off. If I was you, I would just make a bunch of copies of your drivers license and FIOD card and routinely put a copy in whatever you ship. The FFL needs to log the firearm in their records book, and one of the entries is "ID checked".

Now some folks say you can use the US Postal service and mail the handguns to a receiving FFL, but I have never gone that route - the folks in my local post office remind me of a bunch of high-strung poodles that will bark at anything.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

AntiqueDr
    (11/22/01 9:24:31 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: FFL ?
    A non-licensee can not mail a handgun via US Postal Service. You must use a common carrier like FedEx or UPS. Both of those companies have policies requiring overnight service. As a licensee, all I am legally required to obtain is the name and address of the person I purchase a firearm from. If I purchase from someone I know, I do not require a DL copy. Otherwise, I request a copy of a state-issued photo identification sent with the firearm. I know, the seller could copy anybodys ID and put it in there, but I've done everything legally and reasonably possible on my part.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

4000fps
    (11/22/01 10:01:48 am)
    Thanks..I was just concerned about sending out a copy of my FOID every time. I guess I am justa little parinoid.

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/22/01 10:18:27 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    My oldest Sister makes one hellava living on those
    FedEx gun packages....she can spot em a mile away.
    Of course, she is just a "Gun Collector", never does
    fence them to hock shops, etc.
    Nice gal...she belongs to the NRA and the
    bin laden freedom Club.
    Charlie D
    Hasa body guard, I think?

4000fps
    (11/22/01 10:34:15 am)
    I would just like to carry this one step farther. I know I can not use US MAIL...UPS will not permit it { at least here } and FedEx will. I know the law states you have to declare it is a firearm. Does Fedex some how "book mark" the shipment as a firearm in their data base?
    I normally use a FFL on my end if the recievers address is a dead give away..like Joe's Gun Shop..but most of my deals lately have been with FFL's with what appears to be a home address and possibly not a store. Why pay a fee if I don't have to?

M Opaliski
    (11/22/01 11:32:24 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    If they (FedEx or UPS) file their shipment records like many other companies it will be on record, simply listed as "Firearm" or something to that effect under the the area for "Contents". I don't view this as relevant one way or the other, the most they as a company could do with the info was track what profit the newer overnight mandated shipping costs are bringing in. Note that it is not a law that they be shipped overnight, it is a private policy ... you are not bound to abide.

I am assuming that when you say that you use an FFL on your end when the recieving FFL is obviously a Gun Shop you avoid a fee, is that correct? If so ... use that system all the time and save on shipping via USPS going FFL to FFL. If that is not the case ... what exactly do you mean by "why pay a fee"?

Personally, I do not ship handguns overnight ... it is too expensive. I use a local mom and pop shipping outfit and I have no problems, despite UPS Regs. Those Regs were created because the company failed to do it's job and I will not support that behaivior. The issue of insurance claims has come up in discussion that suggested shipping the way I do would negate the claim. That is beyond rediculous. I pay to insure the package, regardless of what is in it, if it is lost the money is still owed. If I ship an empty box and insure it to $1,000 they owe that amont if it gets lost ... period. There is no debating that issue. I claim it to be a firearm as required by Federal Law and leave the package with the shipper, my responsibility to comply with the law ends there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

AntiqueDr
    (11/22/01 11:41:06 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I routinely ship handguns USPS (my FFL to theirs) simply because it is cheaper to use priority mail. When I do use UPS for handguns, I ship 3-Day Select. They can shove their policy up their tookus.

While you must by law disclose the contents of the package, I add the phrase "if they ask." If they dont ask, and they never do, I dont volunteer the information. Also, I make sure there is absolutely no reference to firearms in the address. For instance, "Joe's Gun Shop" becomes "Joe's Shop" or I use Joe's name from his FFL. Also, federal law prohibits any markings on the exterior of the package referencing a firearm.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com