FHN Pistols?????

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jlloyd73, Dec 5, 2010.

1. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Has anyone here had any experience with these pistols......preferably the 45 cal. version. They seems to be great quality....but none of the local gun shops keep this gun in stock so I haven't had the chance to actually feel one up close and personal.

I love the price range, magazine size, and grip size (I have large hands) on this gun. It has been awhile I have had a pistol, my last one was a Ruger P90 that I thought was the perfect feel for me....that may have been because I was able to switch the grips out for Houge grips. (What is up with all these polymer frame guns now???).....I like the option of switching grips out...and I don't like slip on grips.

If not this gun......any suggestions on a pistol between $500-$600 with a high capacity magazine that shoots a 45 cal. round......with a thicker grip (I would think a high capacity clip on a 45 would make the grip pretty thick anyways).
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i was asked to complete an evaluation of the fn fnp 45 and i found it to be a a good handgun but do to price concerns it was passed over in favor of the h&k. for a personal choice i wouldn't pass on it if that was what i was looking for.in a quick 500 round test if fed everything that was put through it and for the most part was able to achive 2 inch groups, with 230 gr jhp and ball. but with winchester 185 gr silver tips 3/4 inch groups were normal. reliabiliy was flawless no failures of any type were noted.hope this helps some.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

There was a FN rep at a shop near my house that was allowing test shooting of their entire line. I shot the five seven and one of the 9mm lines. Good solid feel. Better feel than HK IMO but I don't like the way HK's feel anyway. The five seven which is a hammer gun even though it dosen't look that way had a decent trigger. A little heavier than I like but not bad.
  4. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I have the FNP .45 in black slide dark earth model. I have put 300 rounds through it and love it so far, no malfunctions the feel is great, I switched out the backstrap with one they give you. The recoil is smooth and the accuracy is quite good. at 10-50 yrds I can keep all rounds within the black circle on a standard pistol target. Why FN can make a 15 round .45 clip yet none of the manufactures that do .45 carbines can(without a conversion) is beyond me. I have it for my home defense handgun with 2 15 and 2 14 rnd clips. I got the shooters pack which comes with a paddle holster and the 3 clips and carry case for 570. I should have saved up some more and got the tactical model and may switch the one I have for it in the future but so far it has perfomed above my expectations.

Edit: This is the site I ordered the gun from
    http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2010-6/index.html
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  5. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

On my last visit to the toy store my picks were the FNP-45, Springer XD and Glock-30SF. Keep in mind what I wanted was something I could carry as well as keep for HD. I loved the FNP because of its round count and because it's a pretty gun. But its BIG and heavy. No way could I possible CC it. I ended up buying the G-30SF.
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Thanks for the information everyone. I was very impressed with their 45.
  7. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Have you looked at the new XDM 45? It seems to have some improvements on the XD. It is one that I am looking at for the future.
  8. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I actually haven't looked at that one yet. I have heard good things about that one though. My brother and I are going to the gun store tomorrow and that one will be on my list to look at.