Field trip: 50 cal BOHICA and 8mm Hakim

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by LDBennett, Jan 1, 2012.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The weather in the CA Hi Desert was beautiful yesterday so we went shooting.

We started the day at our former shooting spot with the intent of ranging the targets we were shooting the last time out. Surprise None of the distances were as we guessed by quite a bit. We used our WILD ex-military optical range finder and most of the former targets were at about 600 yrds.

The WILD is a Swedish marked Germany (or SWISS???) huge range finder good to thousands of yards. We got it through SAMCO:

https://www.samcoglobal.com/acc-range.html

Anyway we were shooting previously at about 600 yds thinking it nearly twice that. We moved to a better location with a longer potential. We set out bus brake drums at 750 yds and found them a bit harder to hit but we did hit them. Rejoice! We did not break the Bohica 50 DTC this time. It performed perfectly. In the past couple of trips we: broke the scope, had to do a field repair to the AR lower trigger, and had a primer blow out (my mistake as I shot a cartridge that I reloaded and screwed up the primer which allowed gas to escape out of the primer pocket) which marked the bolt face (DARN!). Even with the slightly marred bolt face (very small shallow divot) no fired brass shows signs from that mar on the bolt. (YEA!). My co-owner son-in-law, who originally thought we would be shooting about 10 shots each for each outing, shot up 30 cartridge and wanted more. This could become very expensive!

I shot my Hakim Semi-auto Egyptian rifle in 8mm Mauser at a steel swinger about 6 inches in diameter set out at 75 yds. I blew the target down a couple of times and the last string of ten shots were consecutive hits. I shot 75 shots of M75 Mil Surp ammo. Man, both the gun and the ammo are accurate! My swinger which was in bad shape to start with is now probably ready for retirement. I had to weld the frame back together the day before this trip. But that Hakim has a unique action and is hard to figure out how to load the first round but we finally figured it out.

Anyway we had a great day!

Sorry to be so lengthy. I hope you enjoyed the read.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The lengthier the better LD ! Sounds like a great way to end 2011.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sounds like a good time, and it was a great way to end the year.

I picked up a Hakim a couple of months ago but have not fired it yet. It was hard enough to figure out how get the "action" closed and I haven't tried to chamber a round yet! I may need to get a block of instructions on it.
  4. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I have a Hakim and it is a wall hanger. It is a reliable weapon, but it is not accurate enough to be good for anything I would use if for. I am actually a little bit scared of it. It looks like it has the potential to cut a finger off.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

reynolds357:

I cleaned my Hakim yesterday and was amazed at how rough the barrel interior really is. The lands are shiny but the groves are black and rough looking. I suppose that is from years of use of corrosive ammo. But it seems pretty accurate. I got 10 consecutive hits on a 6 inch spinner from 75 yards. That is no real test of accuracy but it sure indicates to me that there is a potential for it. It satisfies my accuracy needs for our filed trip shoots.

I'd give that wall hanger a try. Just because the barrel looks bad does not alway mean the gun will shoot poorly. I spent hours trying to clean out those grooves in the rifling to no avail. The patches just kept coming out black no matter what solvent I used. I left some of the foam cleaner in the barrel for an hour as per the instructions and blue patch that came out of it was the deepest blue I have ever seen from a barrel. But the gun still shoots well (??). I gave up the cleaning exercise and put the gun away.

I have a mini-manual or article I got off the internet on how to filed strip it. If you need it then I could scan it (I have no idea exactly where I found it?). When the abutment at the rear of the receiver is removed the whole of the bolt, bolt carrier, and cover slide off the back of the receiver giving complete access to the breech of the barrel for cleaning.

The bolt can cut off a finger in an instant so be careful. You remove the magazine and pull the cover to the rear all the way which locks the bolt and carrier to the rear. Load the mag off the gun and insert it from the bottom. Then push the cover about a 1/2 inch forward and then back and the bolt and bolt carrier will spring forward on the backward stroke while stripping a round off the top of the magazine. Keep your fingers completely clear and use the handle on the side of the cover to do all of this.

This is a fun gun to shoot and I sure would try shooting yours. It messes up brass bad and the gas adjustment is critical or it will nearly pull the rims off cases. Only shoot disposable brass in it, Berdan primed Mil Surplus ammo. Most is corrosive so you must clean the gun immediately after use. Hoppes #9 is suppose to remove corrosive priming compounds but MPro9, as a water based solvent, used also assures the corrosive salts are all removed.

Good luck.

LDBennett