1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Filing out the mold completely.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Feb 18, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

What I have read so far tells me that when you cast bullets the bullet shape must have crisp lines to define the bullets shape.
    I took a couple of my cast 158 grn Semi wadcutters and placed them back in the mold. They all fit very tightly with no gaps between the bullet and the molds surface. Did I cast my stuff the right way?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Keep your fingers and their oils out of your moulds. The oils from your fingers and hands can cause rust if your moulds are steel. Can cause problems whether aluminum or steel. Use alcohol on a cotton swab to clean out any contamination. Use Drop Out before starting to mould bullets on the inside of the mould. Will help them fill out and drop out easy.

If the bulletes are sharp edged and shiny then you are all right. If frosted, then the temp is too high and the bullets will be brittle.
  3. frosty

frosty New Member

They are not frosted but I do not have anything to compare them to so that I know what a frosted bullet looks like.

How shiny should they be? Mirror finish or a satin look, kind of like the way that Ruger .45 colt looks in stainless?
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

When they are frosted, they are dull looking. You'll know when you see it.

They will be bright looking and not dull as a frosted bullete looks. When you get the book they have examples in there.
  5. frosty

frosty New Member

If the bullet is dull the temp is to high. If I get the temp to low what will be first indicator of that.
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

A bullet with a lot of creases in it!
  7. frosty

frosty New Member

I did not have one bullet with creases in it. Nearly all of them just fell from the mold.:D
  8. suryevor

suryevor Guest

the alloy can effect this, too. Get some

"wiped" solder joints or adhesive backed wheelwts in your alloy, and your bullets will have BOTH frosting and creases, on the)same bullet. :)