The Firearms Forum banner

Finally broke down and bought a Kimber!

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Larry The K 
#1 ·
Broke down last weekend and bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II.

Everyone Kimber owner I have talked to has raved about theirs... and I'll let you know if I will be joining them tomorrow when I finally get out to the range.

#2 ·
Welcome to TFF!

I just got a Kimber a few weeks ago, and have about 200 rounds thru it and I love it. I show this pic more than I show my family pics ;)

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to TFF Larry The K, one thing a guy doesnt want to do is say "let me show you some pics of my kids " and then pull out pics of your guns. Bad medicine.LOL
Have fun with you new Kimber, I think you will have a new love.

#7 ·
Nicel lookin' Kimber! ;<)

And now, for the Larry the K Range Report:

In a word - WOW!

The target (pic attached) is from the the first two magazines - 14 rounds total - 7 at 15 feet and 7 at 25 feet. All shots in the 9 ring were at 25 feet. All shots hit the target.

My range buddy went along to break in his new Glock - also a very fine firearm - and his words when he tried the Kimber were "WOW!" :D

I'm sold on Kimber. When I was in the Army (old ASA'er here), I got the chance to fire darn near every type of weapon made for testing and evaluation purposes (side benefit of having a clearance!). The Kimber ranks in the top three (hard to beat an M-60 machine gun and a full-auto AK74 for just plain fun!). Kimber ranks as #1 in handgun.

Wahoo!

Next post is a pic of the new baby!

Take care..

Lar

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks....

Never have tried a Springfield - I have heard a lot of good things about them... and will eventually pick one up <grin!>

The Kimber is cast - and in the Ultra Carry II, the frame is polymer. But I'll tell ya what - with the way it shoots, I don't care if it's made of cheddar cheese! <grin!> :D

#11 ·
Ultra II Frame

The frame on the Ultra II is made of 7075-T7 aluminum, not polymer. I have used one now for about a year as my concealed carry weapon and found it to be very easy to conceal and now that it's broke-in, very reliable. At first , I was disappointed because it FTFire when it got a little dirty but now it has smoothed out nicely.
ENJOY!!!!!!!

#12 ·
Thanks for the info

I stand corrected on the frame - definitely not the first time I've been wrong and won't be the last ;<)

I've been wearing it on the weekends and in the evening (can't even THINK about carry at work), and it's extremely wearable and surprisingly comfortable. I've never had a FTF, and only 1 'jam' after firing 100 or so rounds. Cleared the round and no problems.

Take care.. stay safe.

Lar

#14 ·
Holster -

I'm using a DeSantis IWB - made for a Sig, but it fits the Kimber Ultra Carry II well. Gotta play with the snap a bit if you want to carry 'cocked and locked'. Soft, flexible leather - probably won't last over a few years, but it beats wearing a rock in your waistband ;<) And, it was only $25 or so.

Take care...

lar

#15 ·
I carry my Kimber in a Fobus C-21 paddle holster. It holds it high and tight, easily concealable under a plain ol t-shirt.

#19 ·
Back to frames - Kimber makes Polymer frames, but I can't recall what they call them. The Ultra that you have is a steel frame. The CDP Packages are alloy. My Eclipse is steel as well. I like the extra heft for recoil control in this shortened unit.

I've been extremely pleased with the out-of-box accuracy of these guns (proud owner of 3 Kimbers now, "Original" Custom Classic - before the safety change - Guvmint Model. Eclipse Ultra II. and now a 84M in .308. Both pistols shoot into a tennis can lid at 15 yds all day long if I do my part. The 84M is a tack driver with 165gr Sierras and only weighs 6 lbs with a scope.

#20 ·
My only experience with Kimber

is with the Ultra Carry II - and I couldn't be more pleased with it. My next .45 will be another Kimber. Are you sure the frame is steel? Definitely seems awful light for steel, which is why I thought it was polymer. Last time I did the cleaning ritual, I noticed a wear mark near the slide release - appears to be aluminum to me. Shiny polymer? ;<)

The accuracy (IMHO) is just amazing. And you would think the recoil on such a small firearm at .45 ACP would be a lot more than it really is... which I think helps a lot in maintaining the accuracy I have. In a carry firearm, I want all the accuracy I can get - for myself and for everyone else.

I just hope the only experience it does get is at the range ;<)

Take care..

Lar

#23 · (Edited)
ATTA BOY Larry hehe

plunk you got great taste, hehe I got the same one, I got some work done on it.
2.5 lb trigger, two color night sights, bushing, hogue grip (may take it off though)

oh yeah throw out the mag that comes with the kimber, its barely worth propping up old furnature with, get some wilsons. that was recomended to me by well everyone.

Attachments

#24 ·
Very nice!

2.5 trigger? Hmmm, I was thinking my factory trigger was light ;<) Never had a problem with Kimber mags, but I may pick up a pair of Wilsons just to see...

I ended up getting a set of rosewood grips (Kimber special when I bought it), but believe it or not, I went back to the rubber grips. More comfortable, bit more control, and had to promise that I'd put the rosewoods on for formal occasions! ;<)

Definitely need the night sights. The only thing I didn't like about the sights was no dots whatsoever. I'll be sending the Kimber back in for night sight install when I get the Walther back from the factory.

Sigh... gotta get another Kimber... ;<)

Take care..

lar

#26 · (Edited)
I like REALLY light triggers, I don't suggest getting a 2.5 lb trigger unless you are used to it or have the time to get used to it.
I installed a .5 lb set trigger with a 1.5 lb unset on my 700 Police, its great, expesnive, it was a custom job, but it REALLY helped.

I got after market sites and had them installed by a gun smith it was MUCH MUCH cheaper than going through kimber. www.*********.com is where I got mine, Trijicon sights for $50 (stores around here wanted $150+) and these are brighter than the stock night sights on his kimber custom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.